Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: Suicide

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    I don't understand the condemnation of suicide. For some people their lives are so unbearable that it might very well be the only solution to stopping their pain. A stranger can never fully know what somebody considering suicide is dealing with or the depth of their pain. Even those close to a person can't always understand. I think its a valid solution to an unsolvable problem. Terminal illness, severe physical disabilty, etc. My opinion only. I'm not advocating people do it but I understand why somebody would make that decision and I wouldn't condemn someone for it.
    Hey OJ: I hope you don't think that by posting resources that I condem the option. I am in no position to make a decision for someone else. I do think however it is always good to step away from yourself, get an outside perspective and look at what is pushing someone to despair. I know when I am having a bad day, I get stuck on the negative instead of the positive and life can seem unmanageable. Hell I think we have all had days, weeks and months like this. Sometimes getting a differing opinion and looking elsewhere for feedback can make a world of difference.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Becky I'm so glad they got to you and saved your life.
    You have such a beautiful smile in your pic w/your cap & gown.
    Your family is so proud of you!
    You're important to all of us on CC.
    God bless you

Well Suicide at the top of the LIFE Forum is strange.
    I think the word "Resources" should be in the title.
    The whole purpose is to give life lines to someone in need.
    Along with the word Suicide. In any combination with any other words.
    Last edited by Mona~on~wheels; 03-14-2008 at 04:25 PM.

I was against putting this as a sticky on top of the life forum. I think its something that should not be flashed in front of people on a daily basis. Its like say you put a phrase "Cigarette Smoking" on top of any message board, it may make anybody who has even the slightest inclination for a Cigarette to run and light one up. Anyhow, thats just my theory. Flame away.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake
    Hey OJ: I hope you don't think that by posting resources that I condem the option. I am in no position to make a decision for someone else. I do think however it is always good to step away from yourself, get an outside perspective and look at what is pushing someone to despair. I know when I am having a bad day, I get stuck on the negative instead of the positive and life can seem unmanageable. Hell I think we have all had days, weeks and months like this. Sometimes getting a differing opinion and looking elsewhere for feedback can make a world of difference.
    No I didn't write in response to what you posted which I think is good and helpful for people and should be a sticky. It was in response to another post here which I should have quoted. Sorry cheesecake.

im new here was clayton a member here

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    No I didn't write in response to what you posted which I think is good and helpful for people and should be a sticky. It was in response to another post here which I should have quoted. Sorry cheesecake.
    Hey OJ, I didn't take it personally, no worries. You know I love you!
    Every day I wake up is a good one

My opinion on this doesn't really matter and nobody asked me but I will share it anyway.

If one of the mandates of this site is to provide information and links to resources to help people and families living with a spinal cord injury shouldn't mental health resources, including resources dealing with suicide be an important part of that mandate? A look at the responses in this thread show that mental health is an issue for many people here. There are stickies dealing with other health issues in the care forum. Maybe this thread would be more appropriate there and renamed something that reflected it is resouces for depression and suicide or something along those lines.

This is just my opinion but I honestly don't think seeing a thread with the words "suicide resources" is going to plant the thought in somebody's head nor is it going to sway somebody contemplating suicide to follow through on it. But the resources in that thread might help somebody feeling that desperate to link up with resources that can assist them through their crisis. For that reason alone it would be of great value.

I think arguments against making it a sticky in an easily accessible place just reinforce the stigma and negative connotations surrounding mental health and expecially suicide. I think not including a thread of such resources does many members here a disservice. It sends the message that it's too shameful to talk about.

When Ozy died, I googled SCI suicide stats. They are SHOCKING. Especially the first three years post-sci. I understand Curt's position but think it is kind of like believing that sex ed causes kids to have sex...in other words, I disagree. People ARE having suicidal thoughts. I think any resources need to be wherever they'll be seen, in bold bright letters. I feel like Scorpion is right (go ahead, make fun)-we can't fear the word. This isn't what Scorpion said but I think that rather than fear the word, we should fear the action.

Nobody here has never considered it, imo. Usage of the word won't give anybody ideas...hopefully it will give someone alternatives.

Let's learn from this tragedy. Ignoring is clearly not the answer. Neither is pretending like it never happened. I'm sure it's happened far more than we know. Has anyone noticed how many of us die in any given year?

I don't know what to do about this business, where condoning suicide seems to be the pc position. I really hate what it does to friends and family, I feel it is a waste, and thus I guess I disapprove of it. Call me old-fashioned. I'm not judging anyone but I feel like we shouldn't do things that leave tattered, brutally painful wreckage for our loved ones to contend with for the rest of their lives. It's cruel and selfish and shortsighted. I think those that have gotten to that point, no matter what brought them there, have lost sight of the collateral damage. I don't think people intentionally inflict the pain; I think people become convinced that their loss won't matter to anyone. It's an act based on fallacious thinking. I prefer it to be averted. I think in many cases it could be, and some day in the future, the one that wanted to die will be glad they didn't.

If nobody cares about you, it's your business what you do to yourself. Please don't inflict pain on other people though, esp. not to that degree.

It's a conundrum. What you do to your body is your business. When it destroys your loved ones, you are no longer only affecting just yourself.

Last edited by ala; 03-14-2008 at 09:33 PM.

when the pain is excruciating what a person should do ?kill himself[suicide]or ask for the pain killers medication?
    ps.i think that i need some morphine ...iv of course.damn neuro pain and spasms,utis,pressure sores etc,
    sci sucks .
    adi the gladiator.fight until you die one day .stars and dust .
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."