Page 7 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

Thread: Suicide

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Frankly, I don't think this thread should be titled "Suicide". I think it should reference depression and counseling options instead.

C.
    Good thought. Perhaps it should include both in the title?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Nobody else finds it ironic that "Suicide" is the first thread in the "Life" forum?
    Daniel

Forgive me for having it be retold but I'm not up to date on what occured. Did we have a CC member or someone with SCI commit suicide?
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

I would prefer to see this titled something different as well.
    Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Frankly, I don't think this thread should be titled "Suicide". I think it should reference depression and counseling options instead.

C.
    This is really about resources and where to go for help if needed.

Stormycoon Forgive me for having it be retold but I'm not up to date on what occured. Did we have a CC member or someone with SCI commit suicide?
    Yes
    Every day I wake up is a good one

How about this...

Depression and Emotional Resources

or

Depression Resources

or

Depression/Suicidal Resources

???????

I tried putting the word "support" in there, but that did not help....sighhhhhhh.

Just a few I could think of...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormycoon
    Forgive me for having it be retold but I'm not up to date on what occured. Did we have a CC member or someone with SCI commit suicide?
    Sadly, yes we did. Ozymandias.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...&highlight=ozy

While it may be a good idea to change the thread title to clarify the thread's purpose, I don't think the word "Suicide" should be omitted from [censored out of] the title of the thread.

Someone who is thinking about suicide and may be looking for help is not necessarily going to be depressed nor will they necessarily think they're depressed. If this thread is going to help those thinking about suicide, then the word must be in the thread title in some way.

We should not be afraid of the word.

It's good to talk it out...

I can only speak for myself...yes, it's a thought that came up after my TBI...I was in a lot of pain...headaches, migraines...couldn't think straight, couldn't sleep through the night...short term memory loss... nausea...etc...worse time of my life...meds. only made it worse, couldn't focus while on the meds....pain numbed out but hated the feeling of being out of it...lived day by day with a numbness in my left side of my face which is still there today...a numbness that can blow up into a full migranine headache if I don't watch it and catch it in time...right now I've been having slight migranines mostly because of stress at work and relationships...having sleep problems too...Trying to get by every day with the thought, "This to shall pass"...I'm tired...but I'm hanging in there...Life's too short...

I don't understand the condemnation of suicide. For some people their lives are so unbearable that it might very well be the only solution to stopping their pain. A stranger can never fully know what somebody considering suicide is dealing with or the depth of their pain. Even those close to a person can't always understand. I think its a valid solution to an unsolvable problem. Terminal illness, severe physical disabilty, etc. My opinion only. I'm not advocating people do it but I understand why somebody would make that decision and I wouldn't condemn someone for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    A worthwhile thread.

It's no surprise that so many of us consider suicide but I wonder how close any of us have actually got and, more importantly, what stopped us?

Family? Love? Cowardice? Hope? Apathy? Not bearing to miss the final season of The Sopranos?
    First of all, thank you so much for posting these links!!!!!! They really have been a life saver. I remember right after getting discharged from inpatient. Both of my parents worked full time and my brothers had school and my sister was awayy at college. I was in the house all by myself with my thoughts, no way to get out since the ramp hadn't been finished. I looked at all of my medication bottles laying on the table in front of me and started bawling. I'm not sure what all I even took or how much of it I took, I just kept throwing handfuls of pills into my mouth. When I stopped crying. I laid back against the couch and just shut my eyes, prepared to die and have this all behind me. I am not sure who called the paramedics but they showed up, much to my dismay. I woke up in the ambulance mad as all hell. When I got to the ER the nurse asked me what I took, etc and I honestly couldn't tell her cuz I couldn't remember. So she put a nice giant bottle of charcole in front of me and told me to drink it. I looked her square in the eye and said, "Excuse me, I just tried to kill myself, why would I drink this and undo what I want to have happen"?

Like I said, thank you for posting these. I struggle very often with suicidal thoughts.

Becky,
    Chicago
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!