Page 1 of 63 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Suicide

Suicide

I know that Clayton's suicide has resulted in many folks in the CareCure community thinking about suicide. Some folks are even actively suicidal. The plus is that people are talking amongst one another about how they are feeling.

This whole thing caused me to pause and try to pull together some resources. I looked up "suicide clusters/contagion and found this definition:
    http://www.hhs.gov/faq/healthprogram...alth/1704.htmlSuicide contagion is the exposure to suicide or suicidal behaviors within one's family, one's peer group, or through media reports of suicide and can result in an increase in suicide and suicidal behaviors. Direct and indirect exposure to suicidal behavior has been shown to precede an increase in suicidal behavior in persons at risk for suicide, especially in adolescents and young adults.
    CareCure can be considered a "peer group" because folks have a common denominator, spinal cord injury. Many folks have talked about embracing one another and the realization of how important folks are to each other. Still others are now openingly talking about feelings of being suicidal.

I thought it might be a good idea to post some resources. I hope if anyone is giving suicide serious consideration, they will reach out and contact others or ask for help.

Please take care........

SUICIDE HOTLINES

About.com’s List of Suicide Hotlines by State and Province (Canada)
    http://depression.about.com/library/...htm?once=true&

Aware Foundation’s Suicide, Depression and Mental Health Hotlines
    http://www.awarefoundation.org/resou..._hotlines.aspx

Canadian Suicide Hotlines
    http://suicidehotlines.com/canada.html

Suicide Hotlines.com
    http://suicidehotlines.com/

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
    www.afsp.org

Suicide Prevention Advocacy Network
    www.spanusa.org

National Strategy for Suicide Prevention
    www.mentalhealth.org

Suicide Awareness/Voices of Education
    www.save.org

Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention (CASP/ACPS)
    www.suicideprevention.ca

Here are some resources for Depression as well:

Source: MedlinePlus http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/depression.html

Websites

University of Alabama at Birmingham’s Depression: Questions from the Clinic http://www.spinalcord.uab.edu/show.a...1&return=24467

University of Alabama at Birmingham’s Adjustment to Spinal Cord Injury
    www.spinalcord.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=45578

University of Washington: Depression and Spinal Cord Injury
    http://sci.washington.edu/info/pamph...ession_sci.asp

International Foundation for Research and Education on Depression (iFred)
    www.ifred.org
    2017-D Renard Ct.
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    410-268-0044

American Psychological Association’s Nov. 1999 article “Guidelines for spinal cord injuries don’t go far enough”
    www.apa.org/monitor/nov99/pi4.html

American Association on Health and Disability’s Health and Disability News
    http://www.aahd.us/page.php?pname=pu...ets/prevelance
    “Depression Prevalence: Depressive Symptoms and Clinical Depression and People with Disabilities”
    http://www.aahd.us/page.php?pname=pu...eets/treatment
    “Depression Treatment: Depressive Symptoms and Clinical Depression and People with Disabilities”.

National Institute of Mental Health’s Depression and Other Illnesses
    http://www.nimh.nih.gov/HealthInform...ooccurmenu.cfm
    Has a section specific to depression and stroke.

American Association of SCI Psychologists and Social Workers promote research to improve quality of care and works to improve skills and techniques of members.
    Publications: SCI Psychosocial Process (quarterly journal) at www.aascipsw.org/.

Chatrooms

NeuroTalk Communities--Depression
    http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com

The information contained in this message is presented for the purpose of educating and informing you about paralysis and its effects. Nothing contained in this message should be construed nor is intended to be used for medical diagnosis or treatment. It should not be used in place of the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider. Should you have any health care related questions, please call or see your physician or other qualified health care provider promptly. Always consult with your physician or other qualified health care provider before embarking on a new treatment, diet or fitness program. You should never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this message.
    Last edited by cheesecake; 05-18-2009 at 02:22 PM.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Thank you very much for the links of information. Interestingly enough we were talking about this sort of thing in chat earlier today. I myself am one who went through these tendencies a couple of years ago and we were discussing how this had sort of brought a relapse of those feelings back.

Just to talk in chat helped me out tremendously. The two people that were there (you know who you are) helped out greatly. But true that these things tend to bring the thoughts back to the forefront of someone's mind. As stated above if this is going through your mind please contact someone, a friend, a relative, a therapist or heck even me because I have been through it. This injury brings about a lot of changes but it doesn't have to be a final change.

Heath

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake
    I thought it might be a good idea to post some resources. I hope if anyone is giving suicide serious consideration, they will reach out and contact others or ask for help.
    Thank you for taking the time to post this information and I hope that people avail themselves of the help that is out there. Please don't wait until you are actively thinking about death. It's normal to be sad and to grieve one's loss after an accident or injury, but sometimes it's a good idea to get help dealing with even those feelings, let alone when they deepen into depression and feelings of hopelessness.

C.

why in our culture is suicide demonized? it is a religious judeo-christian propaganda
    Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

I don't think that I demonized suicide. I do think that sometimes people think they are all alone, and in fact they are not. That was the whole point of this post. If you choose help, it is there. Isolation and lonliness are bitches, but SCI doesn't have to equate isolation.
    Many people don't know where to turn for help, the list was simply resources.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Cheesecake, you are golden - and we are lucky to have you here!
    Thanks for posting this.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by jhope
    why in our culture is suicide demonized? it is a religious judeo-christian propaganda
    I am not a Xian and I fully support the decriminalization of suicide and I believe that assisted suicide should be legalized. That being said, there is a huge difference between someone who is, say, in intense, chronic pain, dying from an incurable disease with no resources at their disposal choosing to end their life early and someone who is clinically depressed ending their life before exploring all other options available to them. I don't "demonize" anyone who is that kind of pain (I know that pain), but I would never support or condone anyone that I care about killing themselves without at least trying to get help for that depression first.

C.

Cheesecake,

I'm one of those ppl that have been struggling lately. Ozy's death is the cherry on top of numerous stressers that have led me to the end of my rope. I'll admit that I've been actively suicidal but I think I'm stronger for now. I share this simply because others need to know that they are not alone. It is the isolation, real or perceived that eats away at my psyche. I cannot believe that my experience is all that unique.

Thank you for reaching out. Thank you for recognizing the pain many are feeling and thank you for posting the resources. I hope that others that are in that place of pain, loneliness, frustration, whatever you choose to call it, will reach out.

FTR, I felt no sense of judgment of any kind in your OP.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Nothing dispels feelings of depression - and suicidal thoughts die without depression - like feelings of empowerment. We can change our environment/ambience by changing law and we can do that by changing government.

Learn who's trying to make a better US and vote for them. We have the power to effect change but we have to use it.

Vote.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

We had some experience with the phenomenon of a suicide cluster a few years ago within our lttle prairie community and although it wasn't in any way related to sci per se my understanding is that it can manifest itself among any "peer" group of people whether adult sci or teens ruled by the angst of their youth ... and is usually triggered initially by a suicide (or attempted suicide) of a member of that particular peer group.

In our case an unsuccessful suicide by a 17 year old girl in my daughters class ... soon followed by another young boy (successful) and then a number of other threats and attempts .... eventually over a period of about a year and a half things finally settled out but not after alot of intervention that included bringing in mental health professionals and the ultimate formation of a Community Youth Wellness Committee. It all involved alot of talking about a very difficult subject and dispelling of myths.

My point in bringing our particular situation to your attention is to help you understand that for anyone who might be entertaining thoughts of suicide since Clayton's passing it's important for you to know that it is not uncommon to revisit those thoughts and that it is imperative that you talk to someone about those feelings .... take them seriously and reach out ... ask for help ..... the moment most often will pass .... but while in the centre of that storm it is very difficult to believe that is true without some support!

We are going through a sad and scary time here at CC .... and I'm not meaning to sound trite but it's time to grieve our loss ... talk about what we are thinking and feeling .... and support each other as much as we can .... even from a distance !

Cheese has made available some excellent resources for any of you who may require help or even if you simply wish to educate yourselves more on the subject of sucide .... if you need to ..... talk to someone..... please!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry