Thread: the "emotional" need for disabled parking

the "emotional" need for disabled parking

Here's a blog entry written by someone who has "biid" explaining why he thinks they should have the right to use disabled parking spaces and have the permits to do it.

I was thinking about re-writing an older unpublished blog entry on my own blog about parking and decided to do a search to see if anyone made any good points that I missed when this entry popped up.

He seems to be missing one HUGE point to me. If he goes to an appointment or to the store and there are no disabled parking spaces left he has the option to park in a a regular spot and walk around the car to take his wheelchair out (he walks around his house apparently)and continue on his way.

If I, like most of you can't find a disabled parking spot I have to miss my appointment or cancel the trip altogether!

What makes me mad about the whole situation is the fuss I had to go through to get a parking badge even though I have CP, am totally blind AND am a quadriplegic! I had documented proof of all of these but still had to go through tons of crap before I was finally able to get a badge! Meanwhile apparently some of their Dr.'s are writing out papers for them to get disabled parking badges because of their "emotional need" for the space!

What do you think of this? Am I just totally blowing things out of proportion?

http://transabled.org/thoughts/sean-...g-and-biid.htm
    Last edited by WildKat; 07-09-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling

So Sean has Body Identity Integrity Disorder! He identifies as a L2 paraplegic. And the women here call them devotees and shun them.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    You would think people would be happy about the fact that they
    don't need to use a disabled parking spot.

Need a marketing campaign that pushes the .. if you don't need it
    be thankfully and don't use it.

or more signs like this.

Or maybe a a sign with a catheter !! only catheter users parking

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    You would think people would be happy about the fact that they
    don't need to use a disabled parking spot.

Need a marketing campaign that pushes the .. if you don't need it
    be thankfully and don't use it.

or more signs like this.

Or maybe a a sign with a catheter !! only catheter users parking
    I guess the part that got me all twisted otu of shape was when he said this:

So one might suggest that instead of getting angry at people with BIID using parking spaces, advocate to reduce the number of "oldies" who get handed parking permits almost like popcorn! Well, we’re told that we’re using parking spots that are in high demand. It would make sense to reduce the demand by curbing the distribution to people who don’t "really" need them.
    He's basically saying that parking permits should be taken away from older people (who chances are got them because they have trouble walking long distances etc.) so that people who can walk perfectly fine, but who have an emotional "need" (they want to have a spinal cord injury) can park in the disabled parking spaces. Then the demand wouldn't be so high because the "old people" wouldn't be allowed to park there anymore.

I have an "emotional need" for a large mansion (complete with staff) overlooking the ocean but it is highly unlikely that I am ever going to get it. Gimme a break. This guy should be ashamed of himself.