Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How much risk are you willing to take ?

How much risk are you willing to take ?

If they tell you that they want you to try a new therapy but there is a risk you might get worse, would you do it? We all want to start a human clinical trials but if they ask anyone of you, would you do it if there a risk.

I my self complain all the time we don't have any human clinical trials only animal trials, but if they ask me, I am a chicken, I don't know if I want to take the risk, I don't want to get worse and not be able to use my hands. On the other hand, I have to take a chance other wise we'll never see if any therapy, surgery or stem cell, will work. I like to know how my friends here feel about it.

manouli.

If I was told that I would get better or die. I would do it in a heartbeat...

Quote Originally Posted by arod636
    Ditto...

Ask yourself this:
    If you were to win 2 Mil in the lottery, how much would you donate to SCI/SC Research?

Quote Originally Posted by manouli
    If they tell you that they want you to try a new therapy but there is a risk you might get worse, would you do it? We all want to start a human clinical trials but if they ask anyone of you, would you do it if there a risk.

I my self complain all the time we don't have any human clinical trials only animal trials, but if they ask me, I am a chicken, I don't know if I want to take the risk, I don't want to get worse and not be able to use my hands. On the other hand, I have to take a chance other wise we'll never see if any therapy, surgery or stem cell, will work. I like to know how my friends here feel about it.

manouli.
    That's really a great question manouli. Makes one think long and hard, for sure.

I'd do it, but I'd base that decision on how much personal faith I had in the purported efficacy of therapy being tested/trialed. After 21.5 years post and advancing in age, it's getting near to be a no-brainer for me.
    Last edited by rdf; 03-06-2008 at 08:51 PM.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

manouli,

I would request a copy of the company's pre-clinical data and make my decision based on that. If I felt that the trial could restore biceps, triceps, the arm/hand/finger trifecta, and full diaphragm function, I would go for it.

Steven
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

My biggest fear would be that such a treatment would bring back my ability to feel pain, but not restore any functionality. With my mangled back, hip, and leg, I'm sure I'd be suffering some serious chronic pain right now if I wasn't numb from the chest down. I guess I'm a bit averse to the risk myself, I probably wouldn't want to participate in a very early trial.

I look at it this way, I already defied death by living through my accident that put me in a wheelchair, why not defy it by trying to get out of it.
    If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

Quote Originally Posted by arod636
    Looking at that picture of you and your child, I find this statement very, very sad. I hope that someday soon you find a new normal that is joyful enough for you to embrace.

C.

Tiger if you knew my situation and didn't assume like I see you doing on almost every thread on this website then you wouldn't be sayin that. You must have a lot of change because you put your 2 cents into everyones comments...

get better or die. id do it.

get better or worse. id have to sit down and look at the odds.

its one thing to die, at least i get to ditch this body, its another to get worse and still be in the chair. wouldnt want to go from a para to vent dependent. yikes. id never do that to myself intentionally. thats crazy.