Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: basic lightweight wheelchair?

Blog Entries
    the one inch spacing is the distance between the inside edge of the tire and the outside edge of the seat frame, call it the gap between the frame and wheels that your seat cushion and hips have before rubbing. GENERALLY this is adjustable also by loosening the locknut on the threaded receiver for the QR axles and screwing them in or out to your liking.

The front frame angles are judged thae same. Remember it is the angle measured from the ground to the footrest/or downtube of the frame. I'll see if I can find SCI OTR's excellent diagrams somewhere...

as for 6 deg of camber, that is acceptable, not gonna make you very much wider. TR says she uses 7deg if I remeber correctly. There are a bunch of folks on here who favor big camber. It keeps you from mashing your hands on walls. I had never thought of that before. I mash my hands a lot, lol. I use 2 degress. My Q2 is about the same. If you want to see an example of 7 degrees camber, it is standard on the Intrepid HC, (you can get whatever you want---shameless plug ) Hit this link and view the many pictures under each color. There are a few views that give you a good perspective. Not to mention, get ya drooling over a handcycle that doesn't cost an arm, a leg, and a kittEh....
    http://intrepidequipment.com/tourer/images.html
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 03-30-2008 at 11:11 AM.

thanks guys I thought that's what camber meant, so the advantage of a greater camber is the saving from smashing ones hands, anything else?

capn I'll have to hold off on purchasing a handcycle for now, maybe next year when I'm stronger from my uppertone
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Larger camber allows you to turn more quickly on a dime...and it widens your base...so you become more stable. This is really important when you play sports...and that is usually where you find the most camber. I have a friend who sits with his legs straight out in front of him (he cannot bend his knees) and the wider camber helps keep him from falling due to the extra weight of his leg platform.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I have a Quickie GP rigid frame chair, and its similar in shape to the Quickie 2, but is lighter and doesn't fold. Its also cheaper than the Quickie 2. You might look into that and getting a hard back like the Roho JetStream Pro or Jay Extreme. It is a lot more comfortable than the fabric backs offered on Quickie chairs.

I have found that Spinlife.com has the cheapest prices for wheelchairs (this is where I got my backup chair from).

Jessie

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach
    Larger camber allows you to turn more quickly on a dime...and it widens your base...so you become more stable. This is really important when you play sports...and that is usually where you find the most camber. I have a friend who sits with his legs straight out in front of him (he cannot bend his knees) and the wider camber helps keep him from falling due to the extra weight of his leg platform.
    ah, thanks wheelie [and jessie] turning quicker would be helpful for me.

I had thought my chair had a 16" depth but it's actually 18" [and I think the last one was 17", darn dmes] so I'll be passing on that particular Evo.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

I know I am probably going to be in the minority here, but I really dislike any camber at all. I want to be able to get through as many doors as possible, and do not want even one degree of camber screwing that up.

Additional note to above.......I only use a manual chair when I absolutely need to for one reason or another, and I have no ability to "turn on a dime," so consider me as someone with only an opinion, but not a great deal of knowledge......

I need a new chair too. my chair feels heavy as hell too.

Another word about camber.

For me getting past barriers like doorways is real important, so I altered both of my ultra-light wheelchairs. One now has 0 degrees camber and the other has only 1 or 2 degrees. They both used to be 6 degrees (I can restore them if I want).

At 6 degrees, both chairs were about 3” wider. This doesn’t sound like much, but when you consider that they were both about 29 ½’ wide (push rim to push rim) you can see how the typical 30” doorway clearance in a house is problematic. I destroyed a lot of door jambs this way, blasting through them (lol).

Also, I have noticed that the more camber you have, the faster your tires wear out. My tires now last 2 -3 times longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    I know I am probably going to be in the minority here, but I really dislike any camber at all. I want to be able to get through as many doors as possible, and do not want even one degree of camber screwing that up.
    I'm the same way with my main wheelchair, but my backup chair that I use mostly for sports has to have camber on it (especially if you play tennis and basketball).

Jessie