Thread: C5 incomplete

C5 incomplete

Hi,

My son ( 16 years old) was recently (2 weeks ago) injured in the c5 area with a burst fracture. He has full sensation in his legs and can tell us what toe we are holding and what way we are moving it. He has shoulder, elbow and wrist movement, but very weak tricep muscles at the moment. He doesn't have any finger movement, and no leg movement at all.

I am unsure of even what questions I should be asking the Doctors and therapists?

Where is the BEST center for rehab of such an injury?

Any help with what to ask or where to take him would be really appreciated.

Mike

Where are you. There are several major SCI rehab centers located around the country. Atlanta, Denver have the most well known programs..

http://www.shepherd.org/

http://www.craighospital.org/

Good luck!

We highly recommend the Model SCI system hospitals.
    TIRR in Houston is one. But closest to home is recommended.
    Where are you located?

CWO

We are in Canada, but my profession is very transferable and we are willing to go where is needed to get the best care for our son.

Mike

craig hospital in denver, co.

that's where my cousin and i joined the 'diving team' in the summer of 06
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

Questions to ask- his ASIA score. Also, is he still in spinal shock? You can read more about that under Dr. Wise's article which explains the ASIA score and funcitonal level of injury.
    I am sure Canada has a good SCI rehab place but I just don't know much about Canada.

CWO

SCI-Nurse, He is still in spinal shock, and I will ask about his ASIA score.

Thanks, and if you think of anything else to ask just let me know please.

Mike

It would help to know where in Canada you are (it is a BIG country). Also if you would complete your profile.

(KLD)

If you are in Toronto - stay away from Lyndhurst but if they will take you -Bloorview iKids Rehab is much better but I am not sure what their age cut off is.
    If you have the resources to go to the US I would do it. I keep hearing amazing things about Kennedy Krieger in Baltimore for young people.

We are in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Currently at the Nova Scotia Rehab Hospital.

Profile is complete. Sorry for the time between replies, but access to the net is limitted here at the moment.

Mike