Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MacSpeech Dictate

Quote Originally Posted by dragondr
    My biggest issue is, while I believe I speak like any other American, Dragon seems to find that I have a strong southern accent. It continues to transcribe quote "cough or wheeze" as "call for police".
    funny! you can train Dragon with those words also fyi.

I have installed MacSpeech Dictate. The training took about five minutes and the accuracy seems to be about 90% or 95%. Yesterday, I did have some problems with a user I created using the talk Pro express USB headset. When I dictated directly into Safari or Firefox, every single letter was capitalized, but today it’s not an issue. I will need to decide if I’ll use pages or Microsoft office for the Mac as my word processor. By the way, I did create a second user, using A Logitech USB headset.

MacSpeech Dictate works well when it comes to dictating e-mails along with opening programs. I still need some more time to play around with the software. I am using an Intel iMac, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB of RAM.

There are some basic commands that just seem to be missing, being able to correct words, train words, vocabulary building. However, I think MacSpeech accomplished its goal by making this software accurate along with a very short training process.

Dictated using MacSpeech Dictate.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Great to hear PN.
    Funny,
    I got an email that said I could crossgrade for $79.
    I think they got their marbles confused.......................

Not really sure what to make of that one either!? I think I read you can import commands from iListen into MacSpeech Dictate. OTOH, I do not want a hybrid. With more commands, you can probably use MacSpeech Dictate hands-free.

Dictated using MacSpeech Dictate.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Just installed the new Dictate program on my son's comupter. He used to use Dragon on his old computer but he got a Mac so we got the new dictate program. One the old computer/dragon program he was able to say "mouse grid" and have the grid come up & he would say "mouse 4, mouse 1" (or whatever number he needed) and that is how he clicked the mouse.
    We can't get the new program to do that. Is there another command for this program we don't know about? He uses only the voice (as he is a C4) for his chatting/web surfing, etc.
    Any suggestions or help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Sue- I wish I could offer some help but I use my touchpad to navigate the screen. Macspeech dictate does not appear to include any sort of "mouse grid" -- the global commands for surfing seem to work well.

Does anyone happen to know whether Macspeech dictates learns from your speech through trial and error?

I have the feeling that Macspeech rushed the development of their product. Documentation should be included with any release of any software in my opinion that is not freeware. In some ways this copy that I have should be a 'beta copy'.

I feel like a beta tester who paid $90 to test it.

Hello Sue:

I have taken a look through the Global Commands and Applications in MacSpeech Dictate and I don't see anything for the mouse. I am familiar with "mouse grid" and I would be very surprised if this was in MacSpeech Dictate.

If you take a look at MouseAnywhere you will see that there are commands for the mouse in the iListen ScriptPacks. It looks like the price is $19.95, and you need iListen 1.6.5.

I was looking at MacSpeech Dictate and it appears you can export commands from iListen into this new product. I was thinking that maybe you could just purchase the iListen ScriptPack with the mouse commands and then import that into MacSpeech Dictate.

I decided to completely remove iListen from my computer before the new software had even arrived at my home. Maybe one of the other members who still has iListen on their computer can try to import the commands into MacSpeech Dictate.

MouseAnywhere may be pretty helpful to your son and other users. If you need to purchase iListen, then I would suggest you do a Google Product Search and try to make a buy minus the headset, unless you need one.

If I find out anything more about MouseAnywhere, I will report back. Good luck!
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Chaz: I don't see MacSpeech saving user files and I just don't know if it learns your speech by trial and error.

The desktop commands seem to work but Safari was a disaster. Maybe I was doing something wrong, so I will try again.

I think MacSpeech probably did try to get this software out the door quickly. So your point about this software seeming like beta or first generation is valid. I do think MacSpeech Dictate (hoping) will get better over time.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Sue,
    what your son needs is a head mouse. It is way too much work using the mouse grid applications on Dragon anyways. I would assume your son has full neck movement as he is a C4. I am also injured at that level. I use a smartnav naturalpoint head mouse from http://www.naturalpoint.com/smartnav/

I noticed on the web site that this is a new updated version of the product. I assume that it still runs more or less the same. PM me if you have any questions.
    Frankly, I'm tired of sitting in this damn electric chair.

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I was informed by MacSpeech that most iListen ScriptPaks can be exported and then imported into MacSpeech Dictate. However, this cannot be done with the MouseAnywhere ScriptPak.

It looks to me like Chef has some real world experience with HeadMouse.

A simple Google Search comes up with a lot of hits for this technology.

Good luck!
    Last edited by PN; 03-20-2008 at 09:09 PM.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com