Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MacSpeech Dictate

as far as general dictation, I am not having very many mistakes at all With the vocabulary. I can dictate in just about any application without mistakes, including speak and say in the iTunes. seems kind of crazy I can speak and say in iTunes, but I can't speak and say in webpages- likely dictating in webpages be a future update. I also can open any application. I did not see Firefox in the available command lists, but MacSpeech still opened it. as far as dictating in the webpage, I'm not sure that that is available at this time other than dictating in (for example this text box). I did e-mail the help support about this question. All of the available commands seem to be working very well, it is just remembering them that is my issue at the moment.

Chas I did see under the help menu you're above text. It looks like MacSpeech really wanted to get something out, but didn't have all of the program finished, hence the updates in the future.

I think it will come around just fine once they get the correct updates out. I would not recommend this program at this point for anyone who totally relies on the voice dictation to use their computer. For me, can use the mouse. However, It is pleasant to dictate On the Macintosh and not worry about fatigue or mistakes in dictation! So for that I give kudos!

More later.......
    Last edited by Lizbv; 03-09-2008 at 01:07 AM.

I was using the desktop " buddy microphone" but for some reason it isn't a certified MacSpeech item and so I can't use it with MacSpeech Dictate. For now im just using the built-in microphone, while I wait for a new microphone order.
    How do you go about correcting text? I can use the touchpad for navigation and type on the keyboard but it does become labor-intensive. So -- im having to do most of my corrections manually with the keyboard.

Let's say we dictate:
    I walked the dog.
    But it displays"
    I talked the dog.

how do you correct "talked" other than repeating it over and over??

MacSpeech is ready to ship, their web site says.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19
    I was using the desktop " buddy microphone" but for some reason it isn't a certified MacSpeech item and so I can't use it with MacSpeech Dictate. For now im just using the built-in microphone, while I wait for a new microphone order.
    How do you go about correcting text? I can use the touchpad for navigation and type on the keyboard but it does become labor-intensive. So -- im having to do most of my corrections manually with the keyboard.

Let's say we dictate:
    I walked the dog.
    But it displays"
    I talked the dog.

how do you correct "talked" other than repeating it over and over??
    When I am dictating and have a mistake of the last word typed, I say "scratch that" or "forget that".

If I want to delete a word or phrase that I spoke, I say “delete” and then the phrase or word.

It may be your microphone that is causing this problem also. Because usually when I dictate there are minimal mistakes and if it doesn't recognize a word, I can select the word, say the one I want, and it corrects it.

Hi Liz:

From your replies it appears that the accuracy with MacSpeech Dictate is quite good. I think my copy will arrive tomorrow. I did learn today that it is not necessary to uninstall iListen before installing MacSpeech Dictate.

It is hard for me to add anything more to this thread until I start using MacSpeech Dictate. I was thinking if we have issues with this software, perhaps we can all write one e-mail together to the MacSpeech Support Team. I think we would get better results if only one e-mail came from the community, rather than each person writing a separate e-mail.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Macspeech Dictate Install

Installation fails. The Install disk prompts me to drag to Apps folder, and then click. After several seconds a window directs to "Install Data Disk". However the Install disk does not eject and will not do so w/o quitting the I nstall program. At that point, the data disk when inserted is not recognized. I have tried booting in Safe Mode, cleaning permissions etc etc. I am now on day 4 of waiting for Macspeech to follow up on my ticket w/ their help desk.

I have used Dragon w/ Parallels on my Mac Powerbook Pro w/ 2.2Ghz and 4 Gid RAM, and 10.5.2 w/o issue, and I am baffled.

Any suggestions out there?

This took me a bit to figure out as well as the first disk wasn't ejecting either. I think I held the eject button on the keyboard several times and it ejected finally. After inserting the data disk, it then seemed like it took a long moment to recognize it. then I clicked "ok" and proceeded with install.

I am fixed, but it turns out ejecting was not the problem. I was dragging in the mix speech icon from my desktop to the apps folder. I finally realized I should drag the icon in the install window that pops up from the CD. Once I did that it went well. Thanks for your help. I am dictating this with MacSpeech, instead of my clunky two finger and accurate typing.

Quote Originally Posted by dragondr
    I am fixed, but it turns out ejecting was not the problem. I was dragging in the mix speech icon from my desktop to the apps folder. I finally realized I should drag the icon in the install window that pops up from the CD. Once I did that it went well. Thanks for your help. I am dictating this with MacSpeech, instead of my clunky two finger and accurate typing.
    GREAT! keep us posted if you don't mind on your likes/dislikes. And, always curious what microphone your using. how are things so far? have you used Dragon a long time?

I have a Mac book Pro, 2.2 GHz, four gig ram. I use the built-in microphone, which is fine with Dragon, and MacSpeech Dictate seems to like it okay as well. I have been using Dragon for three months. I have the latest build of parallels installed. I use it primarily for work. I am a physician, and use of electronic medical record program called Medi notes. The only issue I have with that, is similar to the one noted above, where after a correction, Medi notes tends to lose its place. Dragon preferred has a very large and impressive medical vocabulary already loaded. My biggest issue is, while I believe I speak like any other American, Dragon seems to find that I have a strong southern accent. It continues to transcribe quote "cough or wheeze" as "call for police".