Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: MacSpeech Dictate

MacSpeech Dictate Version 1.2 Quick Look At Whats New

The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Hey Chaz,

Thanks for your review of the mac dictate.

I'm a mac user (at home) and a pc user (at work) and need to get speech recognition software. (I have Transverse Myelitis (C3-T4)). My difficulties with using my computer are tremors, spasms, weakness, pain, and intermittent speech/cognition problems.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Melanie

hi Melanie, the software works works well??? if you are in a quiet environment and have one of their "MacSpeech certified microphones".

I have spasms, weakness, and pain as well and the software is so so. I find that I often have to create new profiles every few weeks. It is my hypothesis that a lot of the background noise from a nearby street, barking dogs, ambient music contributes to its recognition inaccuracy. Also, I have to use a lot of borderline medical terms for graduate work in psychology, so I'm having to import more documents than the common vocabulary.

Thoughts on the new version:
    -- it has a correction menu, which I find works *only* when I click the icon for it.
    -- you need to be able to use your hands or some part of a hand or instrument to correct many of its mistakes
    -- it's nowhere near Dragon 10
    -- editing from voice can be tedious
    -- it likes to do random things with text
    -- definitely some random bugs
    -- and on....
    if you have any specific questions feel free to ask me.

I have used both Dragon and Macspeech. The difference is astounding. Correcting and editing in Dictate are neary impossible. In Dragon correction and editing work very well. I keep a PC just for using Dragon. I am a writer. I also have a rare brain disease that has rendered me a hemiplegic. I have little use of my left hand. My typing days are finished.