Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MacSpeech Dictate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MacSpeech Dictate

hmmmmm, is a good start. Although I wish they would have posted these following known issues on their website. As of now it is not a "replacement" for Dragon naturally speaking -- but the recognition rate is comparable.

Summarize the paragraph below:
    -- **there is no correction mechanism** ( what? fah! )
    -- there is no way to spell out a word if you do not correctly speak it
    -- you can edit with voice or with text and mouse... but don't try mixing.. orYou're playing with the devil

in further releases when they provide a correction menu and work out these bugs -- we will all have a fast, accurate and easy to use tool. I feel as if they should have been more honest and forthcoming. Curious to hear what others think --

Here their wording:

"Known Issues
    MacSpeech is aware of the following issues with MacSpeech Dictate.

- MacSpeech 1.0 does not provide a Correction mechanism that further adapts your profile. This will be provided in a free update later this year. Corrections can be made by voice, but you will not be presented with alternate choices, and MacSpeech Dictate 1.0 will not learn from the Correction.

- Since there is no Correction mechanism, new words cannot be added "on-the-fly." You can add new words using the Vocabulary Training or Train Vocabulary from Selection features.

- Spelling Mode is not provided with this release. This will be provided in a free update later this year.

- Dictation into some third party applications may yield unpredictable results. This is due to the different ways many applications handle text. MacSpeech will address these issues as best it can over time. To report a problem with a third party application, please send an email to <dictate-support@macspeech.com>.

- There are likely to be dictation and editing issues when using a "list mode" with TextEdit and other word processors. The word processor inserts text into the document. MacSpeech Dictate is unaware of this text, so "going back into the dictated text" is likely to be problem as MacSpeech Dictate moves the cursor to where it believes the desired text is.

- Under certain circumstances, MacSpeech Dictate can become out of sync with the text on the screen. This happens most frequently in third party applications, but can also happen in MacSpeech Dictate's built-in Note Pad. To avoid this issue, it is important you either edit by voice or by using the keyboard and mouse, but not both. Once you move the insertion point using the mouse or keyboard, stop using your voice to select and edit text to avoid this issue. (For more details on selecting and editing text by voice, please see the Dictate User Guide.)

- Just to be sure that you noticed the above paragraph, we are saying it again. Either use your voice to dictate and edit or use the mouse and keyboard. Once you move the cursor (unless you put it back exactly where it was) and change the number of characters that were dictated or where the words were, then MacSpeech Dictate will not know what you did. You can still dictate, but going backwards into that changed text can result in scrambled text.

- Commands (Text Macros, AppleScripts, etc.) are not loaded immediately after you create or modify a command in the Command window. You have to quit and restart MacSpeech Dictate before the new commands are active.

- Our documentation is not quite ready yet. It would have been shipped in electronic form on the CD with the application. We will provide the documentation in a future electronic update.

- You should use the "Check for Updates..." menu item on the Dictate Menu regularly to see if we have issued a new update. In a later release we will change this feature to check for updates automatically for you if you want it to."

Hi Chaz:

I was on the phone this morning with MacSpeech discussing these issues. It sounds to me like they understand the problems and they will get fixed. However, this will probably take months.

My software went out today and I should have it by Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Liz, don't kill the messenger, you will have to use your Andrea USB Pod.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Hi Chaz:

I was on the phone this morning with MacSpeech discussing these issues. It sounds to me like they understand the problems and they will get fixed. However, this will probably take months.

My software went out today and I should have it by Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Liz, don't kill the messenger, you will have to use your Andrea USB Pod.
    *@#$
    I hate that Andrea USB Pod

my copy arrived fed ex yesterday, I'll try to install it when I get home tonight.

so, this is not the equivalant of DNS Preferred version?

Chaz, where did you get the above info?

Hi Liz,

I would try it without the USB Pod and see what happens. Here is a link of recommended headsets and microphones for MacSpeech Dictate.

Where did you hear that MacSpeech Dictate was equivalent to DNS 9.0 Preferred?
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Hi Liz,

I would try it without the USB Pod and see what happens. Here is a link of recommended headsets and microphones for MacSpeech Dictate.

Where did you hear that MacSpeech Dictate was equivalent to DNS 9.0 Preferred?
    I am dictating this.

I don't think this will work with out a USB pod if you dont have usb headset..

My dragon trainer told me that MacSpeech was equivalent to the preferred version of Dragon. So far the dictation is really great I am a little confused as to what commands you use. Hope you get your copy soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv
    So far the dictation is really great I am a little confused as to what commands you use.
    Have you tried "what can I say"?

Did you remove/uninstall iListen before installing MacSpeech Dictate? I think MacSpeech Dictate will scan your Word docs, if you import them as plaintext.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

hI Liz, I copied those notes from " release info" -the programs' help menu. I haven't spent much time training the program but I feel they should have worked out a few of those bugs before the official release.
    I sent out a few e-mails yesterday voicing my frustration and I'll update this thread when I hear back.
    Best of luck with your trial and let me know how it goes.
    Chaz

I am about to dictate.

So far everything is working fine. I am using the new MacSpeech voice dictation software on my Mac and I am using a Andrea USB Pod with the VXI Talk pro Parrot.

I have just corrected Mistakes above of capitalization with my voice dictation. The mistakes simply were me saying the wrong command, and not knowing what to say. So far, I am much happier than when I started using iListen.

I suspect it will take some time to get used to this. However at the moment I’m pretty happy.

I opened Microsoft Word for Mac with my voice dictation and have dictated this text in that.

I am not now going to select the text and see if I can paste it into the messageboard.

By the way, installing the software was fairly easy as well as training. It was recommended that when you first begin training, you speak a couple words at a time, then as each panel goes by you speak more. Then you can dictate a full sentence like normal.

----------------

okay, I have pasted this from Microsoft Word for Mac (the program I dictated the above text in) and everything went well. However (I think it is just because I don't know all the commands) that I can't figure out how to navigate webpages with voice dictation. Maybe I am just too familiar with Dragon. So, this will just take looking at the commands. I will tell you I haven't trained anything other than the initial training to dictate this and so far I had minimal mistakes with general dictation.

I am dictating this previous paragraph. Chas, how long have you been using this?

Liz, How are you correcting with voice dictation? I've had it for a day or two but the package it did not include any documentation.hmmmmm

I'm glad to hear that you've had good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19
    Liz, How are you correcting with voice dictation? I've had it for a day or two but the package it did not include any documentation.hmmmmm

I'm glad to hear that you've had good results.
    all I'm doing is saying is "scratch that" or "delete" then wor or words i want to delete. The cap function works well.

Hows it going for you? what headset, are you using? are you using dictation to navigate webpages like Dragon does?