Thread: Handcycle cushion

Handcycle cushion

does anyone use a different cushion when riding a handcycle. I have a XLT Gold but the cushion that comes with it looks cheap. I havent had any problems, but only ride like 30 minutes. I want to go on some longer rides this spring, like 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours, but i dont know about sitting on this piece of foam that long. I thought about my wheelchair cushion, but its to big. Any suggestions THANKS

I used the standard cushion that came with my Quickie Shark and used it for a Marathon. I too am looking for a better cushion as I ride for up to 5 hours at a time. I am considering a Jay cushion.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I also have an XLT Gold and have been experimenting with cushions. Last summer I used a high profile Roho and dealt with a great deal of sweat issues. The Roho does not breathe! I tried a Tempurpedic cushion and liked it, however, it absorbs sweat and doesn't clean well. The sweat created a different kind of issue. What I am doing now, and really like, is using a Stimulite Classic--it breathes, is easy to clean, provides protection for the skin, and is comfortable for long rides and many hours on the bike.

I use a Jay2 cushion on my wheelchair and use a very thin gel filled cushion on my handcycle. I'm not sure of the manufacture but can search for it on the internet and get back to you. I would recommend using the same type of material, whether it be air filled or gel filled, that you have on your wheelchair. This way you don't have to be worried about skin break down.

I sit on my cushion for 25+ miles everyday or other day in the Spring, Summer, Fall and never had a problem. If I sat on the piece of foam that came with the bike I'd be dealing with skin issues for sure.

I would just spend the couple of hundred dollars for the right kind of cushion that fits. It's a lot cheaper than having a pressure sore. (Doctor's, Nurses, Caregivers etc., cost thousands)

Eddie
    -----------
    Eddie

I use a stimulite sport on an XLT Gold. Used it all of last year on many 4-5hrs rides with no problems. It seems a little stiff at first but I have not had any problems. It's also really easy to clean, your suppose to be able to throw it the washing machine but I haven't tried that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by litespeed4
    I use a stimulite sport on an XLT Gold. Used it all of last year on many 4-5hrs rides with no problems. It seems a little stiff at first but I have not had any problems. It's also really easy to clean, your suppose to be able to throw it the washing machine but I haven't tried that yet.
    Same here...and I have put it in the washing machine...you just need to put it on the delecate cycle...and you will be all set to go!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Blog Entries
    I started with a Tempurpedic a few years back and had NO issues with it at all. However on my first big bike gathering, I rode in a torrential downpour for over an hour. I rode for a bit over two hours and sat on the bike for three more talking with folks. Fortunately I was no worse for the wear.Tempurpedic says do NOT get this cushion wet. So I started using my hi-profile roho after that. Aside from it being big(adapt your bike settings) and due to hc limitations allowing the cushion to move around, it works great. I consider the XLT a fair bike but engineered poorly.
    I bought a stimulite contour off ebay and absolutely love it for riding.It helps my positioning immensely. If you have a HC model that keeps your cushion in place, it is a great cushion to use.
    As far as the tempurpedic and the backrest foam on all bikes, I finally got wise a few years ago and started putting foam cushions inside plastic bags with the opening at the bottom or lower side to prevent sweat soaking into them.
    I didn't take my seatback foam out until the end of my first hc season. It stank like a wet goats butt. I tossed it immediately, lol. Made another from an old foam cushion I had lying around.

If you have no severe pressure issues with your butt, the Tempurpedic cushion is wonderful, I now use my old wet one in my truck seat for driving.
    The stimulite is wonderful also, but as I climb very steep hills and deal with a lot of shear, I hesitate to use it for longer than two hour rides and on days I'm climbing the big hills. This is due to my surgery scarred rear having no natural padding(T-4 complete with atrophy) and the cushion moving around on my XLT. For anyone else- use it. I use it in my spazz g still for up to a few hours at a time, then paranoia makes me switch to roho. I will state that I have NEVER saw even a hint of red from using it.

The main lesson here is shear forces are MUCH more likely to be developed in HC'ing due to cranking motion. Especially climbing hills. If you have a high risk for skin breakdown be VERY careful what you ride with. Do a common sense test. Ride for an hour, and check your butt. Ride for two hours and check your butt, etc. If you see the tell-tell redness, change cushions, it's that simple. Take it from me, you do not want to spend years nursing two or more butts. You really only want one, we were issued only one for a reason

Remember, one of the many great things about hc riding is increased good health. Some of those skin issues will improve with cardiovascular conditioning. GIT OUT THERE'N RIIIDE!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach
    Same here...and I have put it in the washing machine...you just need to put it on the delecate cycle...and you will be all set to go!
    I wash mine in the shower. Gotta love those cushions!

The stimulite washes real well. It comes with a mesh bag that zips, put it in the wash, allow it to air dry, and you're good to go for a ride. With the Stimulite there is no risk of the cushion smelling like a wet goat's butt.

CapnGimp is right on about the sheer while cranking. Assess your riding terrain--and follow the advice to keep checking your skin. If you're doing a lot of hills, the risks are higher.

Good post. A lot of people dont even think about this and use whatever cushion came with the bike and find themselves with a pressure sore. The cushion you sit on with the bike is just as important as your wheelchair cushion. On my Handcycle I use a cushion called a "Roho Pack it" it is very inexpensive, very light and compact and comfortable for long rides. http://www.allegromedical.com/super-...2-p189451.html Or a little less on Sportaid without the description http://www.sportaid.com/search_list....trID=83&page=2
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 03-04-2008 at 11:08 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred