Thread: Introducing myself..and Sam

Thumbs up Introducing myself..and Sam

I have been on this site before, but not as a caregiver. I'm a mom of 7, grandma of 4, and a chair user for 10 years. In 2006 my youngest son was in an accident, and had a TBI. Sam turned 21 last month. We have been at home for a year now, and are fighting hard to retain our nursing help. The insurance company wants to step back, the state is reluctant to approve any private duty nursing care..and medicaid/CAP will only give us 3hrs a day with an aide who cannot give Sam's meds or most of his care needs.

Sam has come a long way, but only because he has had 16 hours of nurses..and 24hours of me. We're down to 8hrs of nurses now, and since Sam cannot do anything for himself and needs constand medical evaluations, we are fighting hard too keep our help at home. His doctors are insisting that he have a minimum of 16 hours of RNs at home.

We as a family have been appalled at how eaily people slip through the 'cracks' in the medical system..and at how many cracks there are for differing conditions. That the state would rather see people..even teens..in a nursing home instead of in their own home with family is beyond me.

Anyway..I wanted to say 'hi'..and kudos to all of you caring for loved ones

Welcome Mom to our little sanctuary but so sorry you needed to find us! I believe you will find alot of support and info here ..... we are indeed all ... commrades in arms . So vent when necessary and ask for help when you need it ..... sharing of ice cream is accepted and only occasional hiding behind rocks will be tolerated (or we'll come looking ) ...

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I actually was here a while back because I am a chair user myself..about 10 years now. Makes things interesting here at home..aat one pont some docs (non-supportive) wanted to remove custody of Sam from his Dad and me because of my being disabled. I had 'words' with them, and here we are!

BTW, we were notified today that we were approved for Medicaid PDN, though only 8 hours. We'll appeal later for the other 8..

www.caringbridge.org/visit/samandersen is Sam's website..

Thanks..and glad to be here..again!

Hey my Friend! I won't call your first name for privacy reasons, but I remember you from your being in my nearby city while Sam was first injured, and us TRYING to get to meet each other...but being friends nevertheless. Glad to have the Caring Bridge link again. I don't remember my password, but I will figure out a way to sign back in somehow, maybe under another name...

I will let you know who I am though...

Hugs and prayers and God bless and welcome back to CC!

Love,

Teena

Well, duh...

I have a different computer, and it is telling me that I can't get into the site because of not having cookies.

I will try to figure out how to fix it tomorrow night...

Teena