Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can muscle 'twitching' be related to spine/spinal cord? What about 'buzzing'?

Question Can muscle 'twitching' be related to spine/spinal cord? What about 'buzzing'?

I would like to focus for a moment on just 2 symptoms that are fairly new & bothering me quite a bit. My hope is that someone here can help me figure out if I should see an Orthopedic or a Neurologist.(leave out the surgeons for now) Or is it more likely that both of these symptoms can be caused equally by spine or neuro issues? Symptoms of most concern right now: Twitching & Buzzing
    Based solely on these two symptoms, without taking into consideration any past history (per previous post), where do you think I should start????

Thank You...

If you want/need more detail read on:

Twitching:
    I have had muscle twitches since early January '08. At first it was just an occasional twitch. Now, it is very frequent. Probably an average of 10-15 times an hour, all times of the day. It affects all muscles, from head to toe. Lips, chin, eye lids, above ear, neck, arms, fingers, abdomen, chest, back, legs, knees, ankles, toes. You name it, it twitches. A few muscles seem to twitch more often. The twitching happens when I am sitting, laying or even walking/moving. I believe it happens when I sleep also because I have awakened to twitching. Sometimes it is one muscle twitch, other times it is a series of twitches within the same muscle. The twitches jump around from one muscle to another, with seconds-minutes in between. And then there are times when I don't 'notice' anything at all. I have seen the twitching happening when it was on my arm and a few times on my legs/thighs when I was sitting & wearing shorts.

Buzzing(?): If you purse your mouth and make a loud, forceful "zzzz" or "Buuzzz" sound like a bumble bee would...but take out the sound and focus on the vibration/buzz sensation only..that is what I am trying to describe. It happens in my spine when I bend forward, as if to tie my shoes or get something off a bottom shelf. I can't tell where it starts, but it is definitely in my spine. I instinctively recoil & get out of the position when it happens. I have also felt something similar to this buzzing/vibrating in various extremities.

same problem

Yes ive been getting the same thing for years, and im very young, i dont know if it was the car accident i had with my family two years ago. I hope i dont ha ve a spinal injury but here is a webiste you can check out!

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sympto...tch/causes.htm

My right foot has been doing the buzzing thing recently. 2 days ago I told my husband that I think it's become a radio transmitter. (Yes, I am weird.)

It's not the same thing as neuro pain or electrical sensation. Buzz describes it exactly.

i get the vibrations when i try to point my toes, it pulses and buzzes. Really odd.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

I don't have a SCI, my problem is a genetic neuro disorder, Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia, and while the spasms/muscle twitching aren't always obvious, they are there 24/7.

I remember having a scan (EEG?) in hospital and the results totally baffling the docs. I didn't look like my muscles were twitching, but I was told the scan results were like something they'd expect from a Parkinsons sufferer. The results were so bizarre they initially thought the scanner was faulty, so tried another one, but when that gave the same results, the docs had to accept what they were seeing was fact.

I wish I'd thought of using your description of *buzzing* the last time I saw my neuro. I've had a few instances of something similar where both legs went, as I described to my neuro, numb, but buzzing is much more accurate/descriptive of what happened.

I too do not have a spinal cord injury, but I do have a spinal cord diseas (Primary Lateral Sclerosis) and I do get the muscle twitching and the buzzing all of the time. I can just be sitting there and watch my muscles jump. I have severe ones in my legs and what I like to call ticky-tack ones in my arms. I also have them pretty bad in my stomach and in my back. The buzzing is annoying to say the least, and it is a good way of describing them. Good luck trying to get diagnosed. It took several years before they could officially diagnose me. I hope your time is not as long.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

i live in tacoma washington and about a month ago i got in a head on car collision. i was diagnosed with a sprain and fructure in my lumbar and sciatica nerve damage up and down both side of my hip. my doctor refused my refills for my pain medication even though both my physical therypists have recomended they continue the scrpit. this issue has put a hugr hinderance on my life im constantly in pain and my daughter is missing out on an active life with her father ( me ) if any one out there know a good doctor that can help me with this issue it would be greatly appreciated please reply asap thank you soo much

nick, tacoma washington

Banned
    My brother has had MS since around 2006. He's had me watch his skin when he has an 'episode'. It's crazy, the muscles start twitching, and sort of rolling. He said it is painful and it burns, but seems it doesn't bother him as much anymore. Unfortunately though, it many times precedes a severe episode where his whole body just misfires it seems. He's doing much better after about half a year of actual medication where someone could treat him (whereas before he was approved for disability he was basically ignored)

will

I have MS and have had twitching since the begining.I also have the buzzing that has been going on for months. I have heard other people have used a white noise machine to mask it, although I have no personal knowledge if it works. These are fairly common symptoms for MS.

It's been forever but I could pull up white noise from certain radios. You might try an unassigned TV station and turn the volume up until you hear the noise. I think you'll find hearing, not feeling, buzzing is much like white noise. Also if you take aspirin you may be sensitive to it or taking more than your body can handle.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.