Thread: Oxybutynin xl vs oxybutynin

Oxybutynin xl vs oxybutynin

hi,
    my insurance will no longer pay for the xl, extended release, for which i've had great success. what is the recomended dose for non xl oxybutynin, if 15 mg of oxy xl works.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by J1234
    hi,
    my insurance will no longer pay for the xl, extended release, for which i've had great success. what is the recomended dose for non xl oxybutynin, if 15 mg of oxy xl works.

thank you
    Ask your doc to call them and say you need brand as written. I mean oxybutynin ER is a generic of Ditrpan XL. Make sure he suggests you may need a prescription mouth rinse due to the dry mouth that is much worse with plain oxybutynin....
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Until the extended release is okayed by your insurance, you might try 5 mg. three times a day. I'm on the 5 mg. regular oxybutynin and it works okay for me unless I have an infection.

Of course each person is different, ymmv.

I hope your insurance will okay what's been working for you.

i use to take DitrpanXL 10mg 2 times a day. big bucks. now i take 2-5mg in the morning , 2-mg at night. $4 walmart , $4 costco.
    oh well

for 15 mg XL twice a day, we convert to it to 10 mg ( 2- 5 mg tabs) three times a day which is the maximum dose for both. You might want to try the 5 mg first though & work up to the 10 mg.

CWO

Please be aware that there was a paper titled "Antimuscarinic Drugs and Memory Loss in Patients With Overactive Bladder: An Expert Interview With Dr. Gary Kay", posted on 05/30/2006 in Medscape.

In this interview, Dr. Gary Kay of Georgetown University School of Medicine discusses the findings of his clinical trial presented at the American Urological Association annual meeting. The goal of the study was to compare the memory loss effects of darifenacin and oxybutynin in older, healthy patients. The findings suggest that oxybutynin ER significantly impairs memory. http://www.medscape.com/index/section_2480_0 (search for the paper on the page)
    I would try an alternative to Oxybutynin ER like Detrol, Enablex, or Sanctura. Others like Ditropan XL, and Vesicare could have similar problems. Oxybutynin ER was discussed here earlier. Please do a search to read those comments.

Quote Originally Posted by kenf
    i use to take DitrpanXL 10mg 2 times a day. big bucks. now i take 2-5mg in the morning , 2-mg at night. $4 walmart , $4 costco.
    The old blue pills gave me serious dry mouth, dry sskin, dandruff so bad my hair salon was about to bounce me and blurry vision. I was thrilled when Ditropan XL came out. My doc is now writing my secondary insurance so they pay the difference between Ditropan XL and oxybutynin chloride ER. The ER doesn't work for me. YMMV Other generics no problem just this one is a problem for me.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Quad62
    Please be aware that there was a paper titled "Antimuscarinic Drugs and Memory Loss in Patients With Overactive Bladder: An Expert Interview With Dr. Gary Kay", posted on 05/30/2006 in Medscape.

I would try an alternative to Oxybutynin ER like Detrol, Enablex, or Sanctura. Others like Ditropan XL, and Vesicare could have similar problems. Oxybutynin ER was discussed here earlier. Please do a search to read those comments.
    Memory loss? That's all I need.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose
    Memory loss? That's all I need.
    That would be me when you do the search Mem.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=75272

The study was done on older people. It didn't test others.
    I would just say to watch it. they might all cause this same problem in older people.

CWO