Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: TYPING (& other 'Q' HAND functional uses/tools)

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    You might try putting your keyboard lower, even on your lap. If my keyboard or mouse is even a little high where I need to lift my arm up at the shoulder, even a tiny bit, it ends up killing my shoulder(s) and neck.
    i've tried putting my laptop on lower tables but my shoulder just hurt even more. anyway, if i have to type a lot, i'll use Dragon NS.

here's my letter opener. it's big so it works well w/ quad claws, & it has some weight to it, too, which also helps.

Q-tip holder

for my q-tips i use them in a large binder clip. the 1st pic shows how i hold/use it, the 2nd pic just shows the clip better so you can get an idea of the size.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    alan - Wanchik makes a longer version of their writer that gives you wrist support. Maybe that would work, with an eraser on the end of whatever you have in the writer?
    here's a pic with the wanchik's typer orthosis.
    Les - Try a steak knife. Really. Just be careful. I use a steak knife to open all kinds of stuff.
    hmm I don't trust my floppy hands quite that much!

Scott yours looks interesting. I had this in mind as it looks real easy, hopefully one handed use even.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS
    for my q-tips i use them in a large binder clip. the 1st pic shows how i hold/use it, the 2nd pic just shows the clip better so you can get an idea of the size.
    thats a great idea ScottS!!! i hate other ppl diggin for gold in my ears. thanks 4 e tip

Scott, very cool idea for the Qtips! Gonna try that!

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky
    Scott yours looks interesting. I had this in mind as it looks real easy, hopefully one handed use even.
    the link isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by november
    That looks just like your avatar. ha
    Turns you on, huh.
    But.... maybe we'll make you an honorary member of the I.B.T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    Chick, what a wonderful drawing of the child!

But re YOUR pic ..... didn;t your Mom ever warn you about posting naked pictureds on the net?? Someone is probably pasting it on a picnic table as we speak! http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=97869
    Thanks - I did it for my O.T. to show my appreciation, while working on my hand function also! That was my second sketch. The first one I did was for a friend who was a counselor (not mine) at my H.S. He sort of just an acquaintance (just saw in halls n stuff) but after my injury, started to visit and stay in touch. Would ask me to try stuff like squeeze ball (don't think he fully grasped that no matter how hard I tried, was not going to squeeze it and get stronger ).
    Anyway, he would keep asking about me drawing so I thought I'd do a portrait of him for my first attempt. Actually, I haven't done much since.

My Byrd

oh, and sjean re your link...
    OMG! WTF?? LOL. I mean... Owwww... eeek!
    OUCH!! Can we say Industrial strength LUBE plz??
    Lesson learned: listen to mommy!

Scott - the Q-tip idea is clever! I just put the q-tip thru my index finger/over thumb, with the other end against the base of the mid finger (tuck in nook). I have really great control that way and for me, quick and easy to use.

I have a similar long flosser, but mine has a spool inside, which weaves thru to give a continuous floss, instead of piece attaching to tip. It's called a Dr. Flosser, and I love it, but I don't think thery make it anymore. I had mine for years, and just hope it doesn't break or anything. If anyone has heard of it and know where it can still be purchased..let me know! I'll post pic later of this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimin
    chick, do you have a video of how you prepare to cath and how you hold the catheter?
    No video, but I did offer in that mitro thread about cathin on cam didn't I! lol ut oh. I don't have a problem doing that, so let me think what might be the best way to do that. Audio to hear me explain would be more helpful? If not, I can still try to take pics at different points in process, but would need someone to do that. I think video might be better in a way, but my mac is wonky now and not opening many of my applications, incl. cam to video record. This would be easiest but it's still kind of positioned higher than my belly (... I'm just kinda typing out loud ) .... Lemme try a few things once I get cam working and see what works best. Another option is for me to do it live in video chat or something? Lol Yea, this would really get the weirdos to join in huh.
    But we can work something out. What do you have most trouble managing, re your cath?

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    Scott, very cool idea for the Qtips! Gonna try that!
    keep in mind that namebrand Q-tips don't stay in place very well b/c the stick is so firm. even tho i prefer namebrand due to better quality, i have to use cheapo cotton swabs that way the binder clip can clamp it hard enough to not wiggle out of place.