Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: TYPING (& other 'Q' HAND functional uses/tools)

Quote Originally Posted by chick

That looks just like your avatar. ha
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

WOW!!! chick ur drawing rocks too!!
    there sure are plenty of talent here in CC

tiz, if you order a wanchik for writing, maybe that would work for you to type with too?
    it would work, but i know w/ me it gets tiring for my wrist.

btw scott - does that typing stick on the ulnar side, work better than the one that sticks out from the palm (center)? I never liked the palm one.
    MUCH BETTER! i have one of those dark brown palm ones that is really long, i never liked it. these ones in the pics that i use basically work exactly like your toothbrush -- i hold my hand/arm in the same position as you do, but i don't have to keep hold of anything since it holds on for me. they come in just 1 size, but can be adjusted to fit your hand size by using a heat gun or even just a really hot blow dryer to warm up the plastic so it'll bend and keep shape.

and btw, great drawing! scorp better be careful you don't start competing for his job! you are a couple of great artists.

scott, with that typing stick, is your arm up in the air the whole time? i have there armrests, but they just aggravate my shoulder more:

http://www.back2.co.uk/products/atwo...t_armrest.html

chick, do you have a video of how you prepare to cath and how you hold the catheter?

Chick, what a wonderful drawing of the child!

But re YOUR pic ..... didn;t your Mom ever warn you about posting naked pictureds on the net?? Someone is probably pasting it on a picnic table as we speak! http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=97869
    Last edited by sjean423; 03-28-2008 at 06:49 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by mimin
    scott, with that typing stick, is your arm up in the air the whole time? i have there armrests, but they just aggravate my shoulder more:
    i use it in the same typing position as chick's hands are in in her pics using the toothbrush. so i guess the answer is yes.

when i was first using the typing sticks early on in rehab my arms were so weak that i couldn't hold them up very long, so i used those armrest things like you posted. after a while of forcing myself to not use the armrests i got strong enough to not need them. i don't know the particulars of your injury, but you may be able to work your way from needing those things, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mimin
    You might try putting your keyboard lower, even on your lap. If my keyboard or mouse is even a little high where I need to lift my arm up at the shoulder, even a tiny bit, it ends up killing my shoulder(s) and neck.

I'd need something that holds my wrists straight for typing, as my current leather splints do. Those green things with the three straps and I don't get along - they cause pressure marks near my thumbs and elsewhere.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

how about letter opener recommendations? I'm tired of sometimes having to use my teeth to start them
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

alan - Wanchik makes a longer version of their writer that gives you wrist support. Maybe that would work, with an eraser on the end of whatever you have in the writer?

Les - Try a steak knife. Really. Just be careful. I use a steak knife to open all kinds of stuff.