Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: TYPING (& other 'Q' HAND functional uses/tools)

as for writing, i just use that wanckik thing like Scorp & chick had in their pics, but i have nowhere near the artistic talent or penmanship. of course, it's not b/c of the quad-claws! i never had it pre-injury, either!

one thing i usually do, tho, is put my opposite hand over top of my hand w/ the wanchik in order to stabilize. i really should just practice more, but hey, oh well...

Hi everybody!
    Scott, where did you find your typing stick? Did you buy it or your ot did it for you?
    I used to use something similar (a therapist made it some years ago) but now it's broken...

...sorry for my english...but I'm italian!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
    scott, my ot made an electric toothbrush holder for me very similar to that. I need to try that flosser deal, i never floss enough
    yup, quads gotta luv their OTs! the flosser is great, so i floss every night. before i got it i would only floss occasionally, so my teefs & gummers really appreciate the extra attention!

Quote Originally Posted by tiz
    Hi everybody!
    Scott, where did you find your typing stick? Did you buy it or your ot did it for you?
    I used to use something similar (a therapist made it some years ago) but now it's broken...

your english is fine -- don't worry! i would have never known english wasn't your 1st language.

my typing sticks were given to me by an OT in the computer lab at the VA hospital. not sure where she orders them from (she doesn't make them), but i'm sure you can find them from an online adaptive equipment store. let me know if you can't find them & i'll ask her next time i'm at the VA.

ciao!

Quote Originally Posted by tiz
    Hi everybody!

check here:
    http://www.alimed.com/ProductDetail....id&oid1=&oid2=

Great thread, thanks everybody!

Scorp - Holy crap dude - brilliant artwork, let's see more.
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Thanks a lot Scott!
    I've just checked the link. I think that typing aid could be right for me but unfurtunately I can't buy it because that web site doesn't accept orders under 300$ from Countries outside the USA and Canada.

I hope I could find an Italian web site that sell these adaptive equipments.

Sometimes I use a pen or a toothbrush to type but I think that this typing stick is more easy...I can wear it on my left hand while I move the mouse with my right hand.

I also like that aid that chick use to write...I'm going to look for it!

Ciao!

tiz, if you order a wanchik for writing, maybe that would work for you to type with too?

Just use the pen/pencil (capped off on pen or with eraser tip of pencil). It might not be the best or correct angle for you to type, depending on your wrist and arm function, but just an idea. Btw, it does re-shape by twisting/bending it to fit you better, if you need.

btw scott - does that typing stick on the ulnar side, work better than the one that sticks out from the palm (center)? I never liked the palm one.

oh yea... yep ... holy crap is right -- Scorp, that green human lizard thing, is coooool! More please.
    Last edited by chick; 03-28-2008 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mimin
    Thx Chick, very helpful! Can you pronate your arm?
    Just saw this question! Yes, but the right side, which I write and type with, is much weaker than the left, and has more difficulty pronating it, especially when isolating and trying not to cheat by using elbow and swinging it around. The right side does tend to just kinda flop out (supinate) and at times even go limp. This happened(s) quite a bit when pushing manual chair, and the arm would flop out to the side and making it difficult to push chair with that arm -- kind of just end up using ulner side of wrist/forearm as hand would turn out completely w/palm up/out.

So as pictured, writing with just pen thru fingers requires palm/wrist to extend fully back and in very tight locked position to hold and use pen (more than when using wanchik or typing). This position can hurt pretty quickly (esp. since I have a constant strain/pain already in the right wrist - inner thumb side [radial side?])

*if I'm using any terms incorrectly, correct me!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS
    yup, quads gotta luv their OTs!
    Yup! Loved my O.T.'s.

I drew a portrait of one of my OT's son. It was one of my first attempts to draw anything after injury (few years after). This was mainly using colored pencils and not using wanchik much, cuz had to alternate different pencils, so just used mainly my hands. I think I used wanchik for finer areas around eyes, etc. Well, not quite nearly as good as scorp.. but here it goes...