Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: TYPING (& other 'Q' HAND functional uses/tools)

Chick, let me know when/where...
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    Scott - the Q-tip idea is clever! I just put the q-tip thru my index finger/over thumb, with the other end against the base of the mid finger (tuck in nook). I have really great control that way and for me, quick and easy to use.
    hey chick, think you could show a pic of how you hold it? i think i understand what you're saying, but i just can't see how i'd be able to get in my ear very well like that. tia!

a good trick for ppl who don't have a sink accessible to brush their teeth at:

use 2 water cups w/ straws for rinsing the toothpaste out of your mouth after brushing. fill one w/ water & leave the other one empty for spitting. the straws make it even easier, even for spitting out the rinse you can use a straw.

even if you do have an accessible sink, you might find it easiest to use the cups anyway... i do!

in the pics you'll notice the rest of my stuff -- toothbrush, cups, etc. The auto soap dispenser from Sharper Image is nice to have, as well as the shaving cream warmer. the coffee cup holds my flosser & other tooth-picking tools. also, notice how shallow my sink is! it's great for leg clearance! and it's hard to tell, but the drain is in the back-right corner so the pipe doesn't need to be insulated for burns since it's not near my legs. Kohler makes the sink... it's one of their ADA models.
    Last edited by Snooz; 04-11-2008 at 04:19 PM.

nice setup scott. i also use two cups to brush my teeth. do u have any tips for washing your face? my sink is not accessible at all.

also, how do you turn your toothbrush on/off?

Quote Originally Posted by mimin
    do u have any tips for washing your face?

also, how do you turn your toothbrush on/off?
    i just lean over the sink as far as i can when washing my face. it always makes a mess, so i rarely wash my face at the sink (i shower every morning, so i only need to wash my face at night after a dusty day).

to turn my toothbrush on i push the button against the pointy front corner of the faucet.

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

i use a regular/mod u-cuff. brush em one way then turn to the other.

here's a great way to prevent having to give your house key to caregivers:
    http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-Plymou...8831741&sr=8-4
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky
    here's a pic with the wanchik's typer orthosis.
    I type with my wrists turned sideways. Always have. Don't know if I could keep my hands horizontal, especially my left hand.

I don't know if I could put any splints on myself, due to my upper back pain and shoulder blade problems which limit my arm function beyond what C-5 injury. An aide puts on my current splints in the morning, and I wear them all day.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

new letter opener, no cord or battery needed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZBHZT3a-FA

hey chick--any luck getting a pic of your q-tip technique?
    ...Mark Twain

...Winston Churchill

...George Bernard Shaw

hey hey...

Yup, as you wish. Will do.
    I'll get to that within next day or two.

Thx for bumpin this... reminds me to do do a few things.

mimns, do you still need some more ideas or something on the cathing? Maybe describing your problems more specifically, would help.