Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: TYPING (& other 'Q' HAND functional uses/tools)

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post

*Please add your ideas and any Quad Hand Tricks and Tools you have*

TYPING (below pic):
    I type punching one letter at a time, using a stick made from a toothbrush.
    I prefer this than the standard adaptive typing stick, because it is more secure and I have greater control (but this may differ greatly depending on one's hand tightness/flaccidity).
    I then started to use the end of a toothbrush - specifically 'Oral-B' since it has a thick rubbery handle, that aids in holding the handle very securely btwn fingers. I can hit pretty hard and the brush not move, whereas other thinner/smoother handles would move. No finger control; passive function.

Cutting off the brush head and melting the tip smooths edges and rounds the end off.
    **warning: melts and burns quickly**
    The narrow tapered tip helps to hit keys fairly accurately.
    '[/URL].
    Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I want to say thanks for sharing. Toothbrush typing sticks are affordable(no formal OT assesment )

With 1 typing stick(Im a hemp and Im planning on using two sticks) I have no wrist movement and really tight tendons and a broken thumb that set at a really shape and spaz fingers and a contracted elbow.Most of movement for typing comes from the shoulder so we(i live with a equipment tech/wheelchair with an interest in hands)are going to bend it down at a right angle(will add photos)

Totally agree and love Oral B toothbrushes for typing sticks

Recently, some change in my bladder management required me to find a way to access my stoma in a lower position, thus a need to get pants down in order to access it, so I came up with the idea of a bungee cord to pull and hold pant waist down.

One end of the hook can easily hook onto any part of the frame of your chair, and you pull the other hook end to your pants. The bungee cord can be adjusted as needed for length and resistance - the shorter and tighter, the lower the pants are pulled, and taut enough to yank down even relatively tight pants.

The cord is easy to manage with 1 hand, and easy to use for those with little or no finger dexterity (motor function). It's small enough to not get in the way while cathing and is very compact for travel.

Chick, I too use an elastic bungee cord when wearing a strapless maxi dress or romper.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

oh great tip thanks, I still have some pants that arent low rise and sometimes slip slowly up.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer