Thread: Low Air Loss Mattress; What kind do you recommend?

Low Air Loss Mattress; What kind do you recommend?

I need to purchase a Low Air Loss mattress soon. I've been using a Clinitron Rite-Hite since last August. I'm looking for a mattress, not an overlay. Do any of you guys use one? If so, any information would be appreciated. I used an Invacare Microair 85 for a week in the hospital so I don't know if it's a good one for long term or not. It's an alternating air mattress, I didn't like how the alternating mode felt so I didn't use that mode for long.

Thanks in advance!
    Renee

I can recommend the Joerns TxCair. We replaced our Invacare MicroAir 3500S units with these, and they have been dependable and provide excellent pressure reduction. A Dolphin AutoVector is another option, but much more expensive (and while not technically LAL, it has superior pressure reduction).

(KLD)

Can only tell you about the Hill-Rom Silkair and Invacare 3500s. Both are straight LAL with no frills. The 3500s is far superior for noise level (very quiet) and moisture control. I initially had reservations about the thick mattress cover on the Invacare vs the thin cover on on the Silkair. It would seem like the thinner cover should be superior. But the Invacare proved to be much cooler for my wife with less sweating. I suspect the difference may be partially due to the air pump. The Hill-Rom pump might have heated the air more or possibly used the air stream for the bed to cool the motor. It certainly sounded like a hair dryer on full blast. Unfortunately the 3500s is discontinued. We bought ours used.

To some extent you may be limited to the brands/models your local DMEs rent/sell and support. If you really need the bed and cannot afford to have it down for a significant time, support is essential. A couple DMEs in my area have a 24/7 hotline and supposedly can provide repair or replacement in as little as an hour. On the other hand, You can get a better deal online.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I use a TriLine now Joerns TxCair Plus and it has worked well for 5 years. I lay on my back for 11 hours and only move what the bed can change. They were made by TriLine before Joerns bought them out. TriLine had fantastic customer service, one call and a technician would contact me to find out the problem. Within 24 hours a rep would be at my house to fix or replace the mattress.

We have had a problem with the mattress cover that Joerns has made to fit the TriLine mattress. The straps that attach the cover to the bed frame rip off very easy. Joerns shipped us a replacement cover as the straps on the old cover were partially torn after years on a 5 function hospital bed. My attendant put the cover on and as soon as we put the head of the bed up, straps started tearing off. After we contacted the prosthetics department, Joerns sent a rep with an additional replacement cover. He explained that the old covers are much better than the new ones made by a new company. The straps of this one broke also. My attendant sewed the old cover and it is still good today.

A new manufacturer for the covers should have been found by now.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 05-02-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I can recommend the Joerns TxCair. We replaced our Invacare MicroAir 3500S units with these, and they have been dependable and provide excellent pressure reduction. A Dolphin AutoVector is another option, but much more expensive (and while not technically LAL, it has superior pressure reduction).

(KLD)
    Thanks for the information. I contacted Joerns and they told me the TxCair isn't available for home use, only available to the VA. They told me the BioClinic LAL is comparable and cost around $4000.

You aren't kidding about the Dolphin AutoVector being expensive. They said it's $40,000. The Clinitron Rite Hite I've been using retails for $35,000, I thought that was outrageous. It is a very comfortable bed, I haven't slept this well since my injury in 1984. I've been using it for the last 10 months. The rental is $5400 a month, my insurance ends up paying about $2200 a month since they have a contract withe the company so it's in network. My wound has finally closed so it's time to get a LAL mattress.
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by MSspouse View Post
    Can only tell you about the Hill-Rom Silkair and Invacare 3500s. Both are straight LAL with no frills. The 3500s is far superior for noise level (very quiet) and moisture control. I initially had reservations about the thick mattress cover on the Invacare vs the thin cover on on the Silkair. It would seem like the thinner cover should be superior. But the Invacare proved to be much cooler for my wife with less sweating. I suspect the difference may be partially due to the air pump. The Hill-Rom pump might have heated the air more or possibly used the air stream for the bed to cool the motor. It certainly sounded like a hair dryer on full blast. Unfortunately the 3500s is discontinued. We bought ours used.
    Thanks you so much for the info and recommendations, I will look into the models you suggested. I'm so afraid I'm going to get a bed that isn't comfortable, it's happened with a few new chairs! I'm so used to the sound of the Clinitron that I might not sleep as well if ithe new bed is quieter!
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    To some extent you may be limited to the brands/models your local DMEs rent/sell and support. If you really need the bed and cannot afford to have it down for a significant time, support is essential. A couple DMEs in my area have a 24/7 hotline and supposedly can provide repair or replacement in as little as an hour. On the other hand, You can get a better deal online.
    Thanks for the information and bringing the "support" to my attention, it's definitely the most important part!
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    I use a TriLine now Joerns TxCair Plus and it has worked well for 5 years. I lay on my back for 11 hours and only move what the bed can change. They were made by TriLine before Joerns bought them out. TriLine had fantastic customer service, one call and a technician would contact me to find out the problem. Within 24 hours a rep would be at my house to fix or replace the mattress.

We have had a problem with the mattress cover that Joerns has made to fit the TriLine mattress. The straps that attach the cover to the bed frame rip off very easy. Joerns shipped us a replacement cover as the straps on the old cover were partially torn after years on a 5 function hospital bed. My attendant put the cover on and as soon as we put the head of the bed up, straps started tearing off. After we contacted the prosthetics department, Joerns sent a rep with an additional replacement cover. He explained that the old covers are much better than the new ones made by a new company. The straps of this one broke also. My attendant sewed the old cover and it is still good today.

A new manufacturer for the covers should have been found by now.
    Thank you for letting me know about the cover, I've been looking at Joerns beds. I talked to a salesman at Joerns and they told me I couldn't purchase a TxCair for home use, that it's only available to the VA. I took it as VA hospitals but maybe she was referring to veterans. If you don't mind me asking are you a veteran?
    Renee