Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stomach bloated all the time...very uncomfortable.

stomach bloated all the time...very uncomfortable.

Over the past two years I've been having gastrointestinal complications. I have posted information on that on here before, but two years ago I started experiencing bad stomach cramps that lead to blood in my stool. I was taking medication for that for about a year and the cramps subsided but the bleeding was still there, not so much though. My GI doctor was hoping it was a temporary thing and with meds it will all go away but I'll see what other things she suggests. Right now I haven't experienced a lot of bleeding but I am always bloated and feel extended. I usually gets very bloated at my upper belly righ after I eat. My stomach sticks out and it gets really hard right below my sternum where my ribs end. It not only looks weird but it's very uncomfortable. Sometimes I become so bloated that I feel like it pushes on my lungs and it becomes difficult to breathe. My bowels also havent been that great, its been a LONG time since I had a good bowel movement. I have changed my diet a little bit but no matter what I eat I still feel like my stomach is going to pop. Sometimes I wonder if spasms are triggered in that area duing digestion and is what makes my stomach feel hard and extended.

People have suggested to take Gas-X because I also have problems burping, others have suggested Beano, and others say to take Metamucil because I could have distention. I really don't know what to do anymore.
    If I were to drink Metamucil, wouldn't that constipate me even more?
    And has anyone tried Beano?

Resting my head on a table while seated helps me burp, it seems weird but it does help. I came to this discovery when I was at the library and became sleepy and decided to put my head down on the desk. While in this position, I burped and relaxed my stomach and OH MY GOSH!! It was the longest burp I have ever had. All this gas was released, I felt such a relief, I was in heaven! It doesn't happen all the time but when it does, I feel so good after.
    What do you guys think this means?
    - OSCAR

not sure what all this means, as im having the same thing but no bleeding, tryed gasx beano Metamucil nothing has worked, when i wake up every day im fine belly is flat after i eat same thing feel like my stomach is going to pop, when i get in bed My stomach sticks out and it gets really hard \not only looks weird but it's very uncomfortable. i used to fart alot during the day but no more, so i guess it gas getting stuck up there, please let me know if u get any help for it so i can try also, maybe wise can help...........c5c6 quad 29 years 43 old
    Last edited by joev; 03-02-2008 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joev
    not sure what all this means, as im having the same thing but no bleeding, tryed gasx beano Metamucil nothing has worked, when i wake up every day im fine belly is flat after i eat same thing feel like my stomach is going to pop, when i get in bed My stomach sticks out and it gets really hard \not only looks weird but it's very uncomfortable. i used to fart alot during the day but no more, so i guess it gas getting stuck up there, please let me know if u get any help for it so i can try also, maybe wise can help...........c5c6 quad 29 years 43 old

Yeah, I also have a hard time passing gas but when I do they sometimes smell like a sewer system! I started with the Metamucil yesterday and will keep taking it. I'll see how that goes for me.
    When you were taking Beano, for how long did you take it?
    - OSCAR

My son, 21 with a TBI..has the same problem.

Joe, you might want to look up a hiatal hernia, if the problem is up high. Your MD should be able to help. Sam lost his ability to both burp and pass gas, it seems. Fortunately we can vent his stomach tube, but if it gets into his intestines we're in trouble.

ANother note..pay attention to how much air you swallow when you eat and drink. Some people swallow an amazing amount without realizing it. Makes a big difference, believe me, lol

Have you tried taking Papaya Enzyme? They are chewable tablets taken after meals. They have helped reduce the gas/bloating issues I experience.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Quote Originally Posted by oscdude
    Yeah, I also have a hard time passing gas but when I do they sometimes smell like a sewer system! I started with the Metamucil yesterday and will keep taking it. I'll see how that goes for me.
    When you were taking Beano, for how long did you take it?
    Oscdude

I believe I know what is bothering you. I have the same problem when I eat certain foods. Anything with spice or cooked with a meat tenderizer will do it for me.

And depending on what you might be allergic too. Most of the time you won't know that your allergic to what ever food until you get it checked with an allergist. And it will surprise you what you might be allergic to.

Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa
    Have you tried taking Papaya Enzyme? They are chewable tablets taken after meals. They have helped reduce the gas/bloating issues I experience.
    Humm...I am gonna try the Papaya Enzyme, I have read about that somewhere else as well. Would a vitamin store have them?
    - OSCAR

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman
    Oscdude

I believe I know what is bothering you. I have the same problem when I eat certain foods. Anything with spice or cooked with a meat tenderizer will do it for me.

And depending on what you might be allergic too. Most of the time you won't know that your allergic to what ever food until you get it checked with an allergist. And it will surprise you what you might be allergic to.
    You know, it's funny you mention the allergy part of it. When all of this happened I also started experiencing consistent coughs and felt like my throat would close on me. Just recently I went to see a pulmonary doctor because of it and he ordered blood work to see if I was having an allergic reaction to something. The pulmonary doctor doesn't think I have asthma. I'll see where all this lead me to but now you got me thinking.
    - OSCAR

Humm...I am gonna try the Papaya Enzyme, I have read about that somewhere else as well. Would a vitamin store have them?
    Yeah, any natural living store should carry them. You do have to read the labels carefully, though, because the amount of enzyme in each tablet isn't regulated, so some have more than others. Also, be sure to get chewable tablets.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

You know, it's funny you mention the allergy part of it. When all of this happened I also started experiencing consistent coughs and felt like my throat would close on me. Just recently I went to see a pulmonary doctor because of it and he ordered blood work to see if I was having an allergic reaction to something. The pulmonary doctor doesn't think I have asthma. I'll see where all this lead me to but now you got me thinking.
    The throat feeling is one of the signs of food allergy. Thats your problem.