Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: StemCyte, Rutgers Sign Research, Licensing Agreement for Novel Human Umbilical Cord B

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ay2012 View Post
    Where is the controversy? This is publicly known....what if Wise has a company donate money for every potential therapy tried by the network? Is this a bad thing? Why would you support clinical trials by private enterprises then? You can't just suggest a potential conflict of interest without explaining yourself...that's lazy and cheap. If you think there is something wrong here then explain it and compare it to the what goes on in the rest of medical research.
    Yes, it is hard to avoid conflict of interest in our society, so I think it ok as long as it is transparent as I think it was for Geron, or now for Stem Cell Inc. and InVivo.
    So, for example, when I hear presentations of Frank Raynolds from InVivo I know I can't fully buy what he is saying. What I do is to look for facts and third part opinions that may or may not confirm what I hear.

    Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Yes, it is hard to avoid conflict of interest in our society, so I think it ok as long as it is transparent as I think it was for Geron, or now for Stem Cell Inc. and InVivo.
    So, for example, when I hear presentations of Frank Raynolds from InVivo I know I can't fully buy what he is saying. What I do is to look for facts and third part opinions that may or may not confirm what I hear.

    Paolo
    Paolo,

    This public announcement that Stemcyte donates cord blood units and research support is proof of the transparency of the relationship between Stemcyte and Rutgers. A search of CareCure will reveal many posts in which I have indicated that Stemcyte donated the cord blood and support the research. In my talks and publications on the subject, I acknowledge the donations and support by Stemcyte.

    Almost all therapies that go to clinical trial have some company providing the therapy and supporting the trial, in anticipation of commercial benefit if the trial shows positive results. In fact, a majority of clinical trials are actually run by drugs companies themselves. For example, Geron, Stem Cell, Inc., Neuralstem, and Novartis are all running trials on their own therapies for spinal cord injury. The conflict of interest issue is less when the trial is conducted by an independent clinical trial network, such as ChinaSCINet.

    Wise.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Paolo,

    This public announcement that Stemcyte donates cord blood units and research support is proof of the transparency of the relationship between Stemcyte and Rutgers. A search of CareCure will reveal many posts in which I have indicated that Stemcyte donated the cord blood and support the research. In my talks and publications on the subject, I acknowledge the donations and support by Stemcyte.

    Almost all therapies that go to clinical trial have some company providing the therapy and supporting the trial, in anticipation of commercial benefit if the trial shows positive results. In fact, a majority of clinical trials are actually run by drugs companies themselves. For example, Geron, Stem Cell, Inc., Neuralstem, and Novartis are all running trials on their own therapies for spinal cord injury. The conflict of interest issue is less when the trial is conducted by an independent clinical trial network, such as ChinaSCINet.

    Wise.
    Wise,

    I think you have been transparent, I just wanted to make sure that also the new CC members were aware of the deal with Stemcyte.
    Then you will agree that in the case of UCB cells if you report personal observations and interpretations of the findings there might be a bias factor that can affect the objectivity of what you repoert, therefore you should expect and perhaps even welcome "hard" questions.

    Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  4. #14
    Some more transparency..

    In the attached PDF there is the licence agreement between Stemcyte Inc. and Rutgers University where Wise is a "primary inventor".
    That is, in my personal opinion, a significant bias factor which may affect what Wise has to say about biomaterials, scar tissue etc..
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  5. #15
    Your opinion is meaningless.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Your opinion is meaningless.
    It's an opinion just like yours

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Your opinion is meaningless.
    I agree with you. Surely it would be more comfortable for Dr. Wise if he was still working only with rats and without deadline to begin human trials. If he decided to move to human test (fase III) means he has the courage to take professional risks in my benefit. And I am immensely grateful.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    It's an opinion just like yours
    I say it is meaningless because he has no basis on which to question the ethics, honesty, or integrity of Dr. Young.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Some more transparency..

    In the attached PDF there is the licence agreement between Stemcyte Inc. and Rutgers University where Wise is a "primary inventor".
    That is, in my personal opinion, a significant bias factor which may affect what Wise has to say about biomaterials, scar tissue etc..
    Paolo,

    Have you asked other scientists whether or not they have any agreement with companies, patents, consultation arrangements, stock, or other possible sources of bias? If so, have you suggested that they are biased as well? I don't think that I have seen you do so.

    I have been quite transparent concerning my relationship with Stemcyte and umbilical cord blood. The umbilical cord blood patent applications are published (PCT) and licensed to Stemcyte through the agreement. I do not receive any consultation fees or stock from Stemcyte.

    Wise.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,993
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Some more transparency..

    In the attached PDF there is the licence agreement between Stemcyte Inc. and Rutgers University where Wise is a "primary inventor".
    That is, in my personal opinion, a significant bias factor which may affect what Wise has to say about biomaterials, scar tissue etc..
    Paolo,

    Please don't forget that Dr.Young is doing clinical studies on humans. If he is heading in the wrong direction we will all know before too long. I would rather have researchers in our corner who are being richly remunerated for their efforts than researchers who are dealing with coming up with rent money instead of researching.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 111
    Last Post: 08-18-2019, 09:48 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 12:27 AM
  3. SMALL STEPS TOWARD GOAL.
    By manouli in forum Cure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 01:03 PM
  4. Umbilical cord blood contains stem cells that can generate neurons
    By Wise Young in forum Stem Cell Research
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2003, 01:28 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 02:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •