Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: StemCyte, Rutgers Sign Research, Licensing Agreement for Novel Human Umbilical Cord B

  1. #1

    Thumbs up StemCyte, Rutgers Sign Research, Licensing Agreement for Novel Human Umbilical Cord B

    this is great Dr. Young! BRAVO!



    StemCyte Expands Support of World Renowned Spinal Cord Injury Researcher Through Agreement with Rutgers University
    Tuesday February 26, 8:00 am ET

    StemCyte, Rutgers Sign Research, Licensing Agreement for Novel Human Umbilical Cord Blood Treatment for Spinal Cord Injury Being Developed by Wise Young, M.D., Ph.D.


    NEW YORK, Feb. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- StemCyte Inc. and Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, today announced at the Stem Cell Summit that they have entered into a research and licensing agreement for a spinal cord injury therapy being developed by Wise Young, M.D., Ph.D., that uses StemCyte's proprietary human umbilical cord blood (UCB) stem cells in conjunction with lithium.

    more:

    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080226/nytu043.html?.v=101

  2. #2
    Looks like StemCyte will be the cell provider for ChinaSCINET. I had been wondering which company it would be.

    said Dr. Young. "As a result, we believe that these cells will have significant therapeutic benefit and hope to treat our first patient in clinical trials later this year."

  3. #3

  4. #4
    NEW YORK, Feb. 26, 2008 – StemCyte Inc. and Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, today announced at the Stem Cell Summit that they have entered into a research and licensing agreement for a spinal cord injury therapy being developed by Wise Young, M.D., Ph.D., that uses StemCyte’s proprietary human umbilical cord blood (UCB) stem cells in conjunction with lithium.
    Under the terms of the agreement, StemCyte will provide financial sponsorship for Dr. Young’s work at Rutgers’ W.M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience and receive exclusive commercialization rights to the therapy.

    http://www.stemcyte.com/news/news/50...ers-university

    Bias factor?
    Maybe or maybe not relavant as there is much worse stuff in medical research, but I think it's good to know.

    Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  5. #5
    Senior Member muskie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Port Jervis, NY
    Posts
    247
    What will be learned by this series of studies?
    "We now know lithium is safe," says Young. "By the end of the trials we will know whether umbilical cord blood mononuclear cell transplants into the spinal cord are safe. We will also be able to know whether or not it improves function, compared to before the surgery. If we see improved function, we still may not necessarily know that this is directly from the transplant itself. On the other hand, if we see that lithium improves the effect, it must be that lithium plus the cell transplants is better than the transplant by itself," he says. "This, on its own, would be sufficient for us to recommend that the lithium plus umbilical cord blood cells be used for treatment of SCI.
    "On the other hand, if we find that umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells don't do anything for people with SCI — they don't improve or even get worse — we would be able to say definitively that this procedure should not be used."
    Stem
    Just saying Wise also said this, so to me he is not hiding anything if it don't work we move on and others learn.
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

  6. #6
    Paolo......Dr. Young has said many times that StemCyte was donating the UCB cells for the trial. If they weren't providing the cells, then a lot more money would have to be raised to purchase cells from some other company.
    Last edited by 2TiRods; 12-23-2012 at 01:34 AM.

  7. #7
    Where is the controversy? This is publicly known....what if Wise has a company donate money for every potential therapy tried by the network? Is this a bad thing? Why would you support clinical trials by private enterprises then? You can't just suggest a potential conflict of interest without explaining yourself...that's lazy and cheap. If you think there is something wrong here then explain it and compare it to the what goes on in the rest of medical research.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TiRods View Post
    Paolo......Dr. Young has said many times that StemCyte was donating the UCB cells for the trial. If they weren't providing the cells, then a lot more money would have to be raised to purchase cells from some other company.
    ... hmm.. if you contact me via email I can tell you why we have not done yet a clinical trial with UCB + Li here in Italy. There is a lot of BS that I can't tell on a public forum.. but sadly "BS" is one of the things that is keeping us paralized.

    Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by muskie View Post
    What will be learned by this series of studies?
    "We now know lithium is safe," says Young. "By the end of the trials we will know whether umbilical cord blood mononuclear cell transplants into the spinal cord are safe. We will also be able to know whether or not it improves function, compared to before the surgery. If we see improved function, we still may not necessarily know that this is directly from the transplant itself. On the other hand, if we see that lithium improves the effect, it must be that lithium plus the cell transplants is better than the transplant by itself," he says. "This, on its own, would be sufficient for us to recommend that the lithium plus umbilical cord blood cells be used for treatment of SCI.
    "On the other hand, if we find that umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells don't do anything for people with SCI — they don't improve or even get worse — we would be able to say definitively that this procedure should not be used."
    Stem
    Just saying Wise also said this, so to me he is not hiding anything if it don't work we move on and others learn.
    Ok, many CC members knew that, but the newer didn't, so I wanted to make sure everibody knows, especially when data are subject to interpretation which might be affected by a bias factor. Then keep in mind that when investors get in the game they are just interested in returns, not in progress of scienze.

    Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Ok, many CC members knew that, but the newer didn't, so I wanted to make sure everibody knows, especially when data are subject to interpretation which might be affected by a bias factor. Then keep in mind that when investors get in the game they are just interested in returns, not in progress of scienze.

    Paolo
    Again, I have to ask: what do you think the motivation of a private firm doing clinical trials is? Do you want to take them out of the equation entirely? You are the one suggesting an X Prize for spinal cord injury.... the profit motive is inescapable here unless we want to rely on public funds only.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 109
    Last Post: 01-15-2017, 01:20 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 12:27 AM
  3. SMALL STEPS TOWARD GOAL.
    By manouli in forum Cure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 01:03 PM
  4. Umbilical cord blood contains stem cells that can generate neurons
    By Wise Young in forum Stem Cell Research
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2003, 01:28 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 02:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •