Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: enlarged heart

enlarged heart

Jess has been sick with a very bad cold and today the doctor ordered xrays and said he needs to be treated for pneumonia. It also showed an enlarged heart. She has him scheduled for an appointment. My question is does this have anything to do with being paralyzed?

Oh hell, Jo, I'm sorry to hear that. Jesse's a big guy, I'd think his heart needs some size to it?

This flu has taken the kids down this year. Last night my stepson (27) played in a band. The lead singer had pneumonia, had spent the night before at the ER. And this is a 25 year old active member of the Army!

I got it, it was horrible. Picked it up at my mom's nursing home, which was quarantined after 2 deaths...one of a 56 year old. My husband got it too.

I'm assuming these are all the same bug. Really sorry Jess has been hit so hard. I'm going to prefer to believe this heart thing is nothing out of the ordinary until you tell us otherwise. Jesse doesn't look like he has a bad heart AT ALL.

Take care of yourself so you can take care of him-

Betheny

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse's Mom
    Jess has been sick with a very bad cold and today the doctor ordered xrays and said he needs to be treated for pneumonia. It also showed an enlarged heart. She has him scheduled for an appointment. My question is does this have anything to do with being paralyzed?
    Jesse's Mom,

The implications of an enlarged heart depends on how big it is and what part is enlarged. It may be nothing. But, if his heart is significantly enlarged, it is important to find out the cause and treat it.

The heart is a muscle. Like all muscles, it gets bigger when it has to work harder. Certain situations make the heart work harder. These include
    • A leaking valve with reflux, this is when a heart valve leaks and the heart is not pumping efficiently. The heart has to pump harder and therefore the heart muscle walls get larger.
    • Increased pulmonary pressure. The heart must push blood through the lung, to collect air of course. When pressure in the lung is high (due to water accumulation in the lung), the right side of the heart has to push harder to get the blood to the left side of the heart. The left side of the heart as to pump harder to get blood to the rest of the body. (By the way, it is unlikely for the heart to be come enlarged because of a pneumonia or flu, because it take weeks for the heart to enlarge significantly).
    • Increased vascular resistance. If the heart must push against greater resistance, it must worker harder. Usually, increased vascular resistance shows up as high blood pressure. In order to get the same amount of flow, the heart has to pump blood at a higher pressure.

Damage to the heart can cause the heart to enlarge. Thus, for example, a heart attack can weaken the heart so that it dilates its ventricles and atria. Thus, congestive heart failure is usually accompanied by enlargement of the heart. I doubt very much that this is occurring to Jesse.

Cardiomyopathy may enlarge the heart. Cardiomyopathy means weakness of heart muscle. This may result from viral infection, genetic condition, toxins, anemia, thyroid disorders, excessive iron (hemochromatosis), abnormal build up of certain proteins (amyloidosis). All these need to be ruled out.

An enlarged heart is not a disease. It is a symptom of something else that is going on. If it is significant, I am glad that it was detected and appropriate actions are being taken to identify and correct the cause. We should be thankful to the flu because it led to the x-ray.

Please do let us know what happens.

Wise.

Dr. Young,
    Do you think it could have anything to do with Jesse working out so hard with his rugby? He has been going strong with training since Dec. 15 but not in the past few weeks since being sick. I googled it and read something about "athletic heart". I cant say for certain if Jess would qualify for having an athletic heart, but he sure works hard when he practices/plays rugby.
    His next appointment is Monday where he said the doctor said something about inserting a tube some place. For those of you who use to read Jesses posts when he was on CC you can appreciate his comment. "The only tube you are going to insert is one up your ass because you arent inserting anything in my body" He didnt say that to the doctor, but to me. IF they do think they are going to do that procedure, I definitely will get a second opinion. That was the same hospital that totally messed up an MRI (or catscan, cant remember) when he was getting the halo off. The doctor in Houston wouldnt take the halo off as schedule because the lab tech in that hospital didnt take the right picture. No trust there anymore.

Did he say there was fluid around his heart? They just drain it off.They won't take the halo off unless they are sure the bones are fused.
    (Why didn't the doctor order the right x-ray???)

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Did he say there was fluid around his heart? They just drain it off.They won't take the halo off unless they are sure the bones are fused.
    (Why didn't the doctor order the right x-ray???)

CWO
    They didnt say anything about fluid, she just told him not to worry.

I think I really confused you about the halo. Five years ago Jess had a halo, and his Dr. was in Houston. At one of his appt. the doc said at his next scheduled appt. he would have an xray to determine if the halo would be taken off. I asked him if we had that xray taken at the hosp. locally could we just bring it to him. The hosp. in Crockett took the xrays and sent them with us to our appt in Houston. His doc there looked at them and said the lab tech took the wrong view and wouldnt take the halo off. I just feel like I need to have the second opinion.

Second opinions are always good
    CWO

Hi Jo;

You don't need an X-ray to know that Jesse has a big heart.

I hope all turns out well.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

.... wishing Jesse .. and you all the best !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Jesse had his yearly checkup with Dr. Donovan at TIRR. Jess took his chest xrays with him and Dr. Donovan said there is absolutely nothing wrong with his heart. What a relief. He also was put on something different for the "pneumonia" that Donovan said was probably bronchitis, but at this point who cares what it was. He is getting better and after this new antibiotic he should be ready to roll again.