Thread: Fly with 2 chairs?

Fly with 2 chairs?

Has anybody tried flying taking both a power and manual chair? Is the 2nd chair like shipped cargo or what?

Our Bi-annual Family Reunion is coming up in June. This year we are having it in Costa Rica. One of my brothers made it BIG in his career and he and his wife are sponsoring the trip this time. How cool is that?

So we are gonna be at an all inclusive resort on the beach and in a surrounding jungle, judging by the website photos. It sure would be nice to have my X5 powerchair for cruising around the resort area. But not knowing the taxi situation there(I'm looking into it), it would be wise to have my manual for most stuff. I've only flown once, post-sci, and it was with my manual.

If I can only take one, I think the manual is a better choice. With all my family around I know I'll have plenty of pushers if need be.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

McDuff: They will treat the 2nd chair as medical quipment. Both will end up in cargo. Check with the airline in advance and have the ADA number for the airline and airport that you are flying out of with you. I assume you are on a US Carrier? International carriers are not bound by the same "guidelines".

Good question on the taxi, I don't know if you will be able to find an accessible van to transport you. I would suggest asking the resort, my guess is they have encountered this need before.

How generous of your brother and what fun too for the family. Enjoy the trip.
    Keep us posted on how you work out the details.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Cheesecake - thanks for info. I would not have expected them to allow 2 chairs as medical equipment, definitely ADA push there I'm sure.

My brothers sis-in-law, a travel agent/broker, is making all the arrangements. She knows me and has factored that in supposedly. I sent her an email asking for some details so hopefully I'll know more soon.

Yeah, he's a very good man. He(and another sis) wer the ones who were "here" for me during my recovery, driving me to doc/rehab all the time(but all fam would have if they were local too, I'm lucky in that dept).

It will be a blast. We are a party no matter where we are. I will keep this updated.

Make sure you gate check both of them...if you do not...there is no telling what your chairs will look like. There was someone I know who took both her basketball chair and her everyday chair on a plane. She did not gate check her basketball chair, and when she got it back...it was in pieces.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Sine you're taking two chairs anyway........ why don't I ride in one for you! Costa Rica is fabulous. Have fun, but as with everywhere, be careful at night downtown. I was Heredia for a while (years ago) and loved it!

Dave
    Dave

We do it frequently when we go on cruises.

The bigger question is how you plan to transport the power chair once you arrive in Costa Rica? Will your family provide a lift-gate truck? It is very difficult to find any lift-van transportation in most foreign countries, so we usually use the power chair only on the ship and take the manual chair ashore so we can easily get up curbs, lift up a flight of stairs if needed, and use automobile cabs easily.

I know there is at least one tour company in Costa Rica that can provide this. I assume you are flying into San Jose??

Check out this resource:
    http://www.gowithwheelchairs.com

(KLD)

Wheeliecoach - can't imagine getting somewhere with a smashed w/c. Another reason for taking two. Yeah gate check for both will definitely be in my mind.

Herco - c'mon bro. You may have to ride in baggage though. I will definitely be more cautious at night, which is still foreign to me now, always felt at home at night before, no matter where I was. sigh...

Nurse(KLD) - transport is a big Qmark so far, don't know anything yet. Got researching to do for sure. Thanks for that link, it looks great. I talked to my brother a couple hours ago, he said we are flying into Liberia, not San Jose. Another wrench in the works.