Thread: has anyone else seen this weird commercial?

has anyone else seen this weird commercial?

Has anyone else that "Magical Amount" commercial by the Truth anti-smoking campaign? I'm guess the non-US posters don't know what I'm talking about, but for those of us who have seen it, do you think it helps prevent people from smoking? It just looks really bizzare...and normally, I wouldn't think much about it, but it seems to be on every time I turn on the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome
    Has anyone else that "Magical Amount" commercial by the Truth anti-smoking campaign? I'm guess the non-US posters don't know what I'm talking about, but for those of us who have seen it, do you think it helps prevent people from smoking?
    It's definitely weird, but I think it's kind of funny. I have no idea if it will keep anyone from smoking though.

C.

You sure it's not a commercial for acid?

I guess it achieved it's intended purpose, annoying as it may be.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Jesus said to him, “I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -John 14

This anti-smoking PCA seems a little different from all the other ones I have seen. It looks more like a parody of an anti-smoking commercial. In that context, I agree it’s a little humorous. But as a serious deterrent to smoking? Nahh!

I find almost all the “don’t smoke” commercials to be dumb. They all seem oddly preachy to me. I know they think they are clever, but I would think young people would find them insulting or a joke.

Last edited by ala; 02-22-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Grammar

Makes me wanna smoke...
    "Donny you're out of your element!" ~ Walter Sobchak

T-5 Complete 9/15/06

The "Don't Smoke" commercials are strange and this one is quite different than the others I've seen. I haven't seen it on the television yet.

I think they're using fantasy characters that are unreal to push the fact that there is NO magical amount of nicotine in cigarettes to make them okay to smoke.

Problem is - those stupid fantasy characters are charming enough and the tune is catchy enough - kids will zone in on that and not catch the real meaning. So like Rebar said - it makes me want to smoke.

The "Don't Smoke" commercials are strange and I think this one backfired.

And I'm all for creativity in film related things.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Since I don’t watch TV, and haven’t seen any other “Don’t Smoke” commercials, I can’t compare. Until the last sentence which seems inconsistent with the whole theme, the message I get from the words of this ad is “Tobacco companies are evil”. Rather than get us to take responsibility for using an addictive drug, it seems to try to get us to hate cigarette manufacturers for our helpless victimhood. The companies have set huge bear traps for us. Draw us in with nicotine, and kill us with arsenic. I think it uses the happy animation (as opposed to the usual serious accusations) to deliver the message, so that we are less likely to question the excessive accusation.

I think the goal of the ad is to push public opinion even further toward blaming the corporations, with the ultimate goal being to put them out of business. Can it be effective at that, while smoking is still legal? Maybe. But it strangely reminds me of genocidal propaganda. It also reminds me of those “liberal activists” (including me!) in too big a hurry to change the system. The ad is actually more manipulative than the tobacco companies; the drug sells itself (along with our “need” to be numb), regardless of what the companies do.

It’s the last sentence, the only sensible statement of the ad, that bothers me. It was all pretty lame until then.

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrdave
    the message I get from the words of this ad is “Tobacco companies are evil”. Rather than get us to take responsibility for using an addictive drug, it seems to try to get us to hate cigarette manufacturers for our helpless victimhood. The companies have set huge bear traps for us. Draw us in with nicotine, and kill us with arsenic.
    Yes, that's the point. The tobacco companies are "evil" in that they have lied about the science and done everything they can to make a deadly product as addictive as possible. They have also intentionally marketed it to children. Of course people need to take responsibility for their own actions, but that doesn't absolve the tobacco companies from their continued wrongdoing and people have the right to know about it.

C.