Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: New Forum Rules Soon

glad to hear it...

"Some of those pointing fingers on this message are themselves some of the biggest violators of treating each other with respect."

There were 9 different members that posted before the above message. Subtracting Steven & Lyniffer, that reduces the number to 7. I guess that narrows it down some.

The "rules" are guidelines for behavior that we hope that people will adhere to on this site. Our practice is generally to apply enforcing actions as little as possible and only when necessary. Our enforcement tools are very limited, principally warnings, moving, and removing posts.

Banning is not an enforcement tool. Banning a member from the site has only been done for two reasons to date. The first is spamming. The second is repeated attacks of other members. Banning is a last resort measure that only I exercise on these forums. It represents my judgment that the member is not welcome in this community.

We go to great lengths to warn, move, and remove posts before considering banning. It usually takes multiple and egregious offenses with lack of response to repeated warnings before I consider banning. If a banned person re-registers under a different name and continues to misbehave, we will ban.

Wise.

Wise,

Thank you for your reassuring post. Hearing about new or further restrictions to speech here makes me cringe. I understand that true freedom of speech is mostly an idealistic fantasy and that rules are necessary, but as you may remember, I have an extremely liberal view when it comes to freedom of expression. Very little said is completely off limits to me (banning), beside direct threats of harm or personal information that threatens another person’s privacy.

My concern has always been for the fair application of the rules. It may not be popular to say this, but there is a definite bias here toward certain people, beliefs, and ideas. No problem, that is human nature. But it is my fervent hope that you and the moderators will not succumb to popular opinion when making these judgments. All too many times I have seen insults fly from some members with nary a peep of criticism while other members are immediately castigated by the more popular group. Sometimes it is instigated by these same members in the majority. It does seem you and some of the moderators are influenced by this.

I do understand how hard it is for you to do this job (yes it’s a job), so I don’t envy you or the moderators. Those of us in the peanut gallery salute you.

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    Wise,

Thank you for your reassuring post. Hearing about new or further restrictions to speech here makes me cringe. I understand that true freedom of speech is mostly an idealistic fantasy and that rules are necessary, but as you may remember, I have an extremely liberal view when it comes to freedom of expression. Very little said is completely off limits to me (banning), beside direct threats of harm or personal information that threatens another person’s privacy.

My concern has always been for the fair application of the rules. It may not be popular to say this, but there is a definite bias here toward certain people, beliefs, and ideas. No problem, that is human nature. But it is my fervent hope that you and the moderators will not succumb to popular opinion when making these judgments. All too many times I have seen insults fly from some members with nary a peep of criticism while other members are immediately castigated by the more popular group. Sometimes it is instigated by these same members in the majority. It does seem you and some of the moderators are influenced by this.

I do understand how hard it is for you to do this job (yes it’s a job), so I don’t envy you or the moderators. Those of us in the peanut gallery salute you.
    Ala,

It is not the job of the moderators to police the language or behavior of members. If moderators believe that a firefight is developing, they step in with warnings. If they think that a post is off topic and interfering with communication, they may move it to another forum. If they think that a post is offensive, they will remove the post until the moderators can discuss the post and decide whether it should be reinstituted. If a member is repeatedly attacking other members, this is usually brought to my attention and I decide whether or not member should be banned.

The rest of the time, the moderators are just members. As members, they have a right and I encourage them to express their opinions. Regarding the "job", neither they nor I get paid for doing this. I am considering putting ads for the first time to help cover some of the expenses of operating this site and hiring somebody to do some of the administration work. I can no longer put 8 hours every day into this site as I have been doing for the past ten years.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Some of those pointing fingers on this message are themselves some of the biggest violators of treating each other with respect.(KLD)
    Indeed.

Personally, I don't feel as tho I've ever been attacked, but am equally annoyed by all the bs of everyone else attacking each other. I don't want to sift thru all that crap. How does that help me regarding my sci?

Fact is that certain members are the types who look for opportunities to instigate. they think that just b/c they didn't throw the 1st insult that they're free & clear. Basically, if someone tends to get in these mud-slinging contests often, and w/ many different ppl, you can bet they're the problem.

I'd bet these particular folks tend to have trouble fitting in in society otherwise, too.

Can't we all just get along? Or at least not look for EVERY opportunity to poke each other?

It's mildly amusing that some "members" think they have inherent rights on forums. You visit someone else's house, you play by their rules. Same for privately funded websites. Deal with it people... or Achmed will kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Ala,

It is not the job of the moderators to police the language or behavior of members. If moderators believe that a firefight is developing, they step in with warnings. If they think that a post is off topic and interfering with communication, they may move it to another forum. If they think that a post is offensive, they will remove the post until the moderators can discuss the post and decide whether it should be reinstituted. If a member is repeatedly attacking other members, this is usually brought to my attention and I decide whether or not member should be banned.

The rest of the time, the moderators are just members. As members, they have a right and I encourage them to express their opinions. Regarding the "job", neither they nor I get paid for doing this. I am considering putting ads for the first time to help cover some of the expenses of operating this site and hiring somebody to do some of the administration work. I can no longer put 8 hours every day into this site as I have been doing for the past ten years.
    I hope you didn’t misunderstand me when I said “job.” I realize that you and the moderators altruistically maintain CareCure. I meant job as in hard or time consuming work. I think most people here understand that there is a cost attached to the very existence of a website such as CC, I encourage you to explore ways of funding the operation and maintenance of this site. Please do not devote anymore of your valuable time then you deem necessary; even though we would miss you hanging around. It’s very comforting to know that you care about us so much; I want you to know, the feeling is more than reciprocated.

I also encourage the moderators and Steven to express their opinions as freely as they wish. I wouldn’t want them to hold anything back on my account.

The fact is good, productive members will leave when they feel bullied. It is bad for them, runs counter to the purpose of this website, and it's bad for Carecure. That shouldn't happen. Sure, with this many members there is the occasional creampuff that can't take any heat at all. Not much can be done for them, and it's not them I speak of.

If somebody is posting an opinion, respectful discussion is possible, even among people that disagree. Personal jabs that are intended to be hurtful don't belong in that discussion. Return jabs are inevitable unless the jab recipient is a meek person. Or maybe I should just speak for myself...I'm only good to take a certain number of jabs before they get returned. I'd much prefer to not be jabbed in the first place. Maybe it's a character flaw in me. I'm not the only one that has it.

I'm curious to hear the opinions of those that have felt bullied. Sadly, they don't speak up very often, because they've left or they feel cowed. If it has never happened to you, you can't know how it feels, being held up for public ridicule. It really sucks.

I also wonder how it feels, hanging here, for the truly meek. It's probably intimidating. Yet the meek get SCI'd, and need CC as much as the loudmouths (yes, I'm including myself in that category.)

I think women get bullied more than men at CC, and I find that horrifying. We're under-represented in the demographic to begin with. We deserve respect as the survivors we are, just like the guys do.

There is a forum called Television Without Pity. It is pretty strictly moderated, too much so imo. But they have some good ideas. For example, no post can begin with "Ummm" or "Hmmm" because what follows is nearly always condescending and/or belittling. I wonder how many little language modifications like that could be used to sweeten up the ambiance at Carecure?

The mods at CC don't jump on any plan willy-nilly. They are slow to come to decisions. A lot of thought and talk goes into something like this.

Every culture, no matter the medium, requires the occasional rule update. I think this will be a good one. I don't think it is really censorship. More a request to behave like mature adults visiting together, instead of rabid hockey players clawing for a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by chasb
    "Some of those pointing fingers on this message are themselves some of the biggest violators of treating each other with respect."

There were 9 different members that posted before the above message. Subtracting Steven & Lyniffer, that reduces the number to 7. I guess that narrows it down some.
    Great point,and most of the time it is over high school bull shit. I was always taught if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!