Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: New Forum Rules Soon

Quote Originally Posted by chasb
    Rules only have significance when they are enforced. You don't have a rule problem, you have an enforcement problem.
    I concur. You have not made anything clearer, except perhaps a stated intention to closer police the content of the forums.

It is obvious to all when a member posts with the intention of causing ignorant and disrespectful flame war. Hold the line on these few egregious personal attacks without delay and spare yourselves the lawyering. Quick, consistent and predictable action will negate any complaints.

Someone also made the suggestion that members only forums should have some prerequisite to entry, such as a minimum number of posts. I believe this is a great idea that would solve several problems.

None of this should be interpreted as negative criticism of any administrator or moderator, it isn't. I have the highest regard and appreciation for the people who work so hard to make this board possible.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    I concur. You have not made anything clearer
    The rules (currently under revision) will hopefully make things clearer. Suggestions for any rule changes are welcome.

Quick, consistent and predictable action will negate any complaints.
    Quick isn't always possible, unfortunately, because the moderators aren't always on CC.

Someone also made the suggestion that members only forums should have some prerequisite to entry, such as a minimum number of posts. I believe this is a great idea that would solve several problems.
    Relatively speaking, few posts are initiated in Members Only. Most problematic posts start in the general forums, so I can't see how that would help much. (No, I'm not deliberately being obtuse.)

None of this should be interpreted as negative criticism of any administrator or moderator, it isn't. I have the highest regard and appreciation for the people who work so hard to make this board possible.
    Tell it to the judge.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Relatively speaking, few posts are initiated in Members Only. Most problematic posts start in the general forums, so I can't see how that would help much. (No, I'm not deliberately being obtuse.)
    I'm talking about vetting people who view members pictures, and participate in conversations discussing the sexual aspects of living a life with SCI. Not foolproof, but at least we would have a better idea of who they were by the time they got to those forums. One requirement might be making completion of some of the profile fields mandatory.

You are SO GAY! And I mean that in a good way.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 02-22-2008 at 11:04 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Give Steven a break! These new rules were put together with input from all the moderators and Dr. Young, and were seriously thought out. This is not something Steven just thought up on his own on a whim. I love the way people love to kill the messenger on these forums, without having the facts!

Some of those pointing fingers on this message are themselves some of the biggest violators of treating each other with respect.

There have been a number of people banned on these forums, and many messages removed or moved to more secure or appropriate forums. For example, daily we remove an average of 10 spam messages.

Those who have abused the rules repeatedly in the past have been warned (you are not all privy to the private discussions about this held by Dr. Young and the moderators and the PMs sent to these violators). The new rules will make enforcement easier as they will make it much more clear and explicit what is a rule violation. The new rules will also include a warning to the new user about how to avoid their participation causing them problems with cyberstalking, etc., which HAS occurred on these forums in the past as well.

(KLD)

I don't know how we can criticize a change when we don't know specifically what it entails. Maybe this is all the details we're getting? I have the feeling this announcement is but the first step in an ongoing improvement.

Unfortunately, quick, consistent, predictable enforcement of rules is impossible under these conditions...that would require paid staff with clearly written policies imo. It is definitely a worthy goal to aspire to and every improvement is a step in the right direction. All journeys begin with that first step.

I think that "more transparent rules" is an excellent approach. The rule "No personal attacks" has always been too broad and vague, and pointless anyway with no system of consequences in place.

Here's to improvements in moderation! I'm sure you've deliberated long and hard. Good luck y'all!
    Last edited by betheny; 02-22-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    CareCure will be replacing the existing forum rules in the near future. When this happens, you will be presented with a new set of rules that you will need to agree to before you can post. (Basically, a new 'I Agree' checkbox like when you first registered.)

The new rules won't require donation of your first born, commitment to vote for a certain candidate, or anything out-of-the ordinary. They will, however, require you to agree that you will 1) treat other forum members with respect; 2) not bait people on grounds of race, religion, and/or sexuality; and 3) understand that repeated violations of the rules will put your account at risk of being banned.

This is just an announcement to let you know what's going on if you come to CC and are greeted with different content than you're expecting. Don't be shocked -- just read the rules and agree, then you'll be good.

Steven
    Thank goodness for this announcement! I know it took time and heartfelt thoughts from all moderators who work hard here keeping CC on the up and up. IMHO, things were becoming nasty here on CC because of a few.

So exactly how many warnings will it take to be banned, one, two, three strikes your out! It is very unclear to me what a "repeated problem" is. The constant warnngs at times appeared to fall on deaf ears, sort of like a nagging parent with a bad kid. The guidelines needs to be very clear especially to those few who have problems following rules. Then there will be no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess "Leia"
    So exactly how many warnings will it take to be banned, one, two, three strikes your out!
    That's up in the air right now. In some cases, one strike is offensive enough to deserve a full ban, whereas other cases aren't as severe.

One of the driving forces behind this change is that we want to discourage behavior that allows one member to drive off many others because of an often petty disagreement. We would love for those members to change their behavior and contribute to CC in a positive way instead of continuing to be negative, but we know that that idealistic hope isn't always possible. It's with these latter cases, where someone continually refuses to follow the guidelines, that banning becomes necessary.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Sounds more than reasonable to me, and thanks for the effort you are putting into this moderators

Enforcement? Bah!

rules we don't need no stinking rules...

like with baseball and my PA,s 3 strikes your out unless yes the first strikes a whopper
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."