Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Take Me Back To The 60's

Oops..took me sometime to post and should have checked to see if anyone else had the answer, oh well........anywho..Davy Jones has a home and hoarses in Palm Beach County and he occasionally seen out in the community. I loved Davy too....Giddee up Davy..

I was 10 in 1963 and 17 in 1970. Can anyone say "puberty." So the 60's was my time to grow-up. Though some might say, I am still not quite there yet.

The 60's: music, mini-skirts, spies, hairstyles, the space race, (did I mention mini-skirts) peace, love, and rebellion.

Quote Originally Posted by cara_m
    Wow!!! I'm very impressed Betheny. You were as sharp and aware back then as you are today. I can see why mimin has you for a role model. Your first memory was when you were three years old? I'm not telling any secrets, I looked at your profile.lol I remember JFK assasination but I wasn't three. I'm trying to think now what my first memory was.

The 60's were a cool time it's just to bad I had to end the decade with a bang. My head on the bottom of a pool.
    LOL. The only reason I remember it is that Dad came home and Mom was crying, and the TV was on in the daytime which was unprecedented. In our house, my parents worshiped God, Jesus and JFK, not always in that order. I've tried and tried to remember other things, there are just a few that I can remember pre-64. There was was one other time Dad came home. Big brother called his 3rd grade teacher Mrs. Frog (her name was Schrag, it rhymed, and she looked reptilian), then he jumped out the window of the classroom and ran home. Ohhh, Del was in TROUBLE. If Del was 8, I was 3, so it was '63.

I remember getting the first color TV on the block, and I think that may have been '64 but I'm not sure. I remember going to a big campaign event at the train station in Wichita to see Hubert Humphrey. I think that must have been '64. I remember that because I missed lunch LOL, and it was so crowded I buried my face in Mom's leg. Mom says it was my first missed meal. I guess I didn't suffer in silence. I remember a few things when Mom was pregnant with my little brother, in '64, mainly train trips. I remember my parents telling big bro and I they were divorcing, and asking what divorce is, because Del was speechless. Within a month, Mom and Dad accidentally got pregnant, so that was '64. They didn't divorce until '73.

Probably I remember more because I had a brother 5 years older, and one 5 years younger. Anything the older one responded to was immediately on my radar, too. It must have made the memories stick. Also, with my parents being such political junkies, I clearly remember election years maybe before most kids.

Thanks for calling me sharp and aware...I hope I didn't peak at age 3. It must have SUCKED to get injured in the '60's. I can't even bear to imagine the hospital. OMG how long were you in rehab? Did you have to use one of those Stryker frames, like in Born on the 4th of July? Ugghhhhhhhh!

Ala-I bet you LOVED those girls that burned their bras! (I know, it's a myth, but bras did go out the window that decade.)

Princess Leia-I loved Davy too, but my real fantasy was Paul Revere (remember, with The Raiders?) He had that lonngggg hair. Cherokee people, Cherokee tribe, So proud to live, So proud to DIEEEE...
    Last edited by betheny; 02-22-2008 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Ala-I bet you LOVED those girls that burned their bras! (I know, it's a myth, but bras did go out the window that decade.)
    Oh, it’s no myth. There is nothing like cookin’ your wiener by the heat of a pile of burning boob-binders. Good times!

Born in '60....remember Dad crying about JFK assination. Obviously didint know why at the time...1st grade teacher, Miss Lewis, classic bun hairstyle(she was HOT). Riding the bike down to the crick to catch minners and frogs.... playing baseball..Senators baseball....Redskins(with Jurgensen) bombing Dallas 34-31 in '65 .... the '68 photo of the earth from apollo spaceship...69 landing on the moon...going to Va Elks boys camp...discover cant swim too good.....still had hair then .....waaaay too many Beattles songs on the radio...

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    I recall a McDonalds commercial that ran on TV for some time, touting how you could "feed a family of four for five dollars - and get change."
    They had a "change back from you dollar" one too I think. (Referring to a meal for one obviously ....)

And I was 6 when JFK was killed, living in MAss .... I don;t remember it at all. Not sure we had a tv at that point, so I suspect my parents sheltered us from the news? Or I just have a bad memory.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Thanks for calling me sharp and aware...I hope I didn't peak at age 3. It must have SUCKED to get injured in the '60's. I can't even bear to imagine the hospital. OMG how long were you in rehab? Did you have to use one of those Stryker frames, like in Born on the 4th of July? Ugghhhhhhhh!
    Don't worry Betheny. You definitely didn't peak at 3. From what I have read on your posts, you're still as sharp and aware as ever. I'm sure that between your political "junkie" upbringing and good genes is why you're one smart cookie.

To answer your question. I got my sci in "68" one month shy of turning 13. If a stryker frame was one where they sandwiched you in and flipped you like a pancake every two hours then yup, I was on one. I never had the screws put in the side of my head just a strap around my chin with weights hanging off each side of my neck. Back then you were in rehab. for such a long time; 7 months. Towards the end I would go home on weekends just to see how we would manage. The rehab. was what you would expect from back then. Everytime I got more return I was never pushed to improve on it. They just kept saying that was all I was going to get. Whatever return I did get was a combination of being an incomplete and having a mother pushing me to do more with each improvement. Heck, who needed a p.t. and o.t. I had mom. It was between the both of us where I learned my adl's and other improvements. Mom was even told that I would't live very long and I was only a c 5-6-7. They were wrong on many counts.

I remember JFK assasination, I was in 3rd grade. However, not being quite mature yet in the 60's, I most especially remember the Beatles debut on Ed Sullivan and the cult daytime drama Dark Shadows. I even remember being heart broken watching Gary Lewis, from Gary Lewis and the playboys on Ed S. He was drafted into the Army in "67" and there was a national contest where one lucky girl would appear on the Ed S. show and give him a kiss good bye before leaving for the Army. She kissed him while he sang his hit song "Sealed with a kiss" or was it "Save your heart for me." Of course I wasn't that lucky girl and I don't think I ever recovered from it.

LOL, I thought of Dark Shadows earlier! At some point Mom started turning the TV on during the day, because Del and I would watch it. Must have been 66 or 67? We'd walk around holding hands and singing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". (Lest I paint too gentle a picture, that was during the lulls when he wasn't blacking my eye!)

I am very sorry you didn't get to kiss Gary Lewis. Paul Revere escaped me, AND David Cassidy. I NEEDED to kiss those boys!

The horses pulling the coffin were gray, not white.
    4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

LOL, I thought of Dark Shadows earlier! At some point Mom started turning the TV on during the day, because Del and I would watch it. Must have been 66 or 67? We'd walk around holding hands and singing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". (Lest I paint too gentle a picture, that was during the lulls when he wasn't blacking my eye!)

I am very sorry you didn't get to kiss Gary Lewis. Paul Revere escaped me, AND David Cassidy. I NEEDED to kiss those boys!
    I used to see Paul Revere and the Raiders on Don Webster’s Upbeat Show in Cleveland. I thought their outfits were cool, and Fang and his guitar with “fang” written across the back was cool too.

My younger sister liked Davy Jones, David Cassidy too (yuk!). She also like that guy from the TV show Here Come the Brides (Robert Brown). My brothers and I had to watch all those girl shows because of her. There were benefits to some of the shows. They were Barbara Eden in I Dream of Jeannie and Sally Field in Gidget and The Flying Nun. I hated that “Nun” show, but I still was hot for that little nun. Catholic school…geez!

Remember the toy spy attaché cases. They came with a built-in camera and a gun that could be converted in to several different weapons. So cool!

How about Greenie Stickum Caps, Fizzies, Chatty Cathy, Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs, and Erector Sets. Ha! Don’t even get me started.