Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Typing Fingers

Typing Fingers

I had two typing fingers made for me when I was in rehab. They slip over my index fingers and are made out of that white splint material they used to use in OT. Anyway, they are breaking and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get new ones made?

Thanks, Noreen

Do you need the custom made ones or can you use a commercial product? Some just use a pencil (eraser side down) tucked into a U-cuff or even between their fingers.

If you must have them custom made like this, you may need to go back to an OT (like where you had rehab).

I am sure others can recommend what they use.

(KLD)

They are custom. I'll have to get to an OT.

Thanks

Could you use one of these?

Wanchik's Typer Orthosis

or

Slip-On Typing/Keyboard Aid

(KLD)

No, mine slips right onto my finger.

Thanks anyway.

I'm a computer programemr and I have the same splints you are talking about. They break fairly regularly because of the oils in your skin. I used to go to an OT to have them made but then I bought the material myself and my brother makes them for me. I've also had my aides repair them with excess material.

You cut out the pattern with heavy scissors, immersed the piece in hot water so the material is pliable, make the general shape, then form fit it to the maker's finger in the more specific shape of a sample (hope you have), then fine tune it to your fingers so it doesn't dig in, etc. I put short pieces of rubber tubing on the ends to type with.

It's simple but does take someone with a little ability and sense. If you want, I can did around to see where I bought the material.

"Patience is a virtue, complacency a vice"

Actually, I'm a programmer, not programemr.......... long couple of days this week.....

Thanks, John. It would be great if you could find out where you got the material. Programmer - programemr, I knew what you meant.

Noreen

I'll look around this weekend and also see if I can get a copy of the general pattern for you.

Thanks.