Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quickie GTi Titanium with Xtender Power Assist Wheels

Quickie GTi Titanium with Xtender Power Assist Wheels

This Quickie GTi titanium rigid frame with Xtender power assist wheels was ordered as a replacement chair after the veteran's Xtender equipped Quickie GT was damaged in an automobile accident. Here are the specs...

17Wx16D
    85 degree front frame with 2" of inset
    21.5 front/18.5 rear STF heights
    Carbon fiber side guards with fender
    5x1.5" FrogLegs aluminum soft roll casters
    3.0x Torque Multiplier Xtenders
    12-16" fixed back with adjustable tension upholster

Even though the GTi was spec'd with the highest available front STF (21"), it arrived with the 5x1.5" casters mounted in the top holes of the fork. With the casters mounted in the bottom hole, the front STF height increased to 21.5".

Why sit up so high? The answer is lack of seat dump. The minimum rear STF height with Xtenders is 18.5", so the only way to have any amount of dump is to have a high front STF height. A 22" front STF would be possible by switching to 6x1.5" FrogLeg soft roll casters.

The overall width of the 17" wide chair, which only comes with 0 degrees of camber, is approximately 26.5". Not bad for a wheelchair with power assist wheels.

Quickie's Xtender power assist wheels add 35 lbs. to the weight of a manual wheelchair. While the Xtenders are lighter than e-motion wheels, if you have to break down your chair and routinely load it into a vehicle, they are still probably not all that practical. Three components of the wheel (A,B, & C in the pic) must be aligned with the axle plate to get the wheel on. In addition, the battery tray mounted on the right wheel causes the hub to want to rotate while attempting to do this.

OK. I know what many of you are wondering. What's the point of selecting the titanium GTi instead the cheaper aluminum frame Quickie GT?

The veteran's Quickie GT we were replacing had a front STF of 20" and he wanted more dump. At the time this chair was ordered, the GTi with Xtenders could be ordered with a 21" front STF, while 20" was the maximum on the GT. I was able to justify the GTi based on the higher front STF height. When I checked again this evening, however, this is no longer the case. Both models could be ordered with 21" front STF's.

While that negates part of my justification, the Xtender equipped GT that this GTi will replace had FrogLegs forks and 5x1.5 urethane casters with plastic hubs. It had severe caster flutter which could not be corrected. This appeared to be due to excessive play in the caster/fork assembly caused by deflection from the FrogLegs forks, caster axle & bearing slop due to the soft plastic hubs, and the relatively loose tolerances of Quickie's fork stem design (retaining clips are used instead of lock nuts and washers). When you consider that the combined weight of the user and Xtender equipped chair is over 250 pounds, it isn't surprising that these components are subject to considerable stress every time they hit a crack in the sidewalk.

The dampening properties of the 1 1/8" diameter titanium cantilevered frame, the more precise tolerances and impact absorption of the 5x1.5 aluminum hub soft roll casters, and the consistently perpendicular orientation of Quickie's standard wide fork provides a smooth ride and good impact absorption without any hint of caster flutter. Overall, the ride was much less jarring than an aluminum frame GT with Xtenders I tried a couple of years ago. (Aluminum hub soft rolls are also not available on the GT at this time).

One thing I discovered with this chair is that seat dump is only beneficial if it is needed for postural stability. It will not provide that much of a biomechanical advantage for self-propelling. The law of diminishing returns quickly applies when the length and force of each push stroke is increased. I can self-propel much more-quickly (and quietly) on smooth level surfaces in my ZRc. With the Xtender equipped GTi, I could attain about 75% of my top speed with relatively little effort, but longer, more powerful, push strokes did not translate to increasingly faster speeds.

Where the assistance from the Xtenders became very noticeable was on mild to moderate grades. The chair maintained it's speed when encountering these surfaces without any noticeable increase in effort on my part.

While noisier, Xtenders provide much better braking on downgrades than e-motion wheels. This turned out to be a good thing this evening when I was going over the walkway to the parking garage to perform my "endo" test. While cruising down the far side of the walkway, it dawned on me that 3x Xtenders have plastic coated handrims and I was not wearing gloves. Fortunately, I was able to slow the GTi down before crashing through the slow automatic glass door at the end of the walkway using only light pressure on the handrims without sustaining third degree burns.

While it may difficult to justify a titanium frame with power assist wheels to an insurance company, the Quickie GTi with Xtenders is not a bad combination for someone who wants something more portable than a powerchair or lives in an area which has a lot of hills where self-propelling a manual wheelchair would be difficult.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 02-20-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Pretty cool rig.

i cant say enuf how much i like my 5x1.5" froglegs soft roll aluminium casters on my SpaZz-G...the improvement in ride and performace was well worth the money...and they look so cool~~~~

OK, I have to ask. What is that beige thingie by the back of the chair that has a yellow button on it?

that looks awful. just my opinion. im a minimalist thou w/ my chairs
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

thats nice fuente. arent you glad you can manage that minimalist chair of yours?

eileen, thats the battery for the wheels. theyre power-assisted.
    amy

The beige thinging is the battery.

Compared to a powerchair, power assist can be considered pretty minimalist for someone with upper extremity overuse issues.

I'd love to have one but wouldn't buy one with my own money. It looks like the chair is packing a jug of radiator coolant around. Change that and I'd be sold on it.

Edit... I guess a simple black fabric cover would almost make the battery disapear. And I was thinking that I bet I wouldn't even care about the battery as soon as I tried it out.
    Last edited by NorthQuad; 02-20-2008 at 05:41 PM.

Aesthetically, the i-Glide/DeltaGlide which Next Mobility will be bringing back is probably the best looking design. Functionally, it's design also adds the least amount of additional width. I may not see one for awhile, though.

Anyone know how to replace the handles on the sides of the wheels (to pop them off) with more sturdy handles? Mine stick out and break off if i get too close to a doorway. Happened countless times in 3.5 years I've had it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Aesthetically, the i-Glide/DeltaGlide which Next Mobility will be bringing back is probably the best looking design. Functionally, it's design also adds the least amount of additional width. I may not see one for awhile, though.
    Any idea if they're bringing back the iglide? I got about four years out of my emotions, but they're pretty much shot right now. They do not like New England weather conditions. What is the word out regarding the best power-assist chair right now? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.