Thread: autonomic dysreflexia

autonomic dysreflexia

What is autonomic dysreflexia and how does effect SCI? I know it's a bladder/bowel obstruction. If your constipated how do you relieve it? Is there a medication to prevent it? It scares me when he has this, though it's not unless he has constipation.

I do believe that autonomic dysreflexia (AD) happens even if there is no bladder/bowel obstruction. I thought it has something to do with your body trying to tell you that there is something wrong that you can't always feel. It tends to be more of a problem the higher the injury. Not a nurse but this is how it was explained to me.

tons of info on AD , use the search engine.
    oh well

While urinary (not just bladder) problems cause AD about 90% of the time, and GI (not just bowel) problems cause it about 8% of the time, any painful or noxious stimulus below the level of injury (mostly in those with injuries T7 or above) can cause AD.

I would strongly recommend that you download the consumer version of the AD clinical practice guideline from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine, read it, and also download a copy of the consumer version to give to any health care professionals you deal with:

http://www.pva.org/site/PageServer?p...bs_generalpubs

You can also search under "autonomic dysreflexia" here and you will get tons of hits.

(KLD)

Anything below your level of injury that could or would cause pain or discomfort if your sensation was normal, thus alerting you to do something about it (change position, unwrinkle or loosen your clothes, use the bathroom, etc.) can trigger AD, as the actual message is blocked by the cord injury and can't get to the brain..
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.