Thread: Do I have kidney stones or something else?

Do I have kidney stones or something else?

Ok, this might sound odd so bare with me. I'm not even quite sure how to ask this but here it goes. As you may or may not know I had a bad kidney infection about a month ago. I am getting my PICC line out at the end of the week. I no longer have a constatnt pain in my flank area which is wonderful. However, I do still have sharp stabbing shooting pains in my left flank area. I asked the nurse that comes to help with the PICC about them and she said not to worry that it was probably just the infection clearing. I was like, ok. Since I had no idea. Her answer seemed appropriate to me. However, now I am not so sure, the pains have now been there for almost a week. If they are removing the PICC the infection should be gone right?

So here's my question. Is my pain nothing to worry about? possibly a kidney stone(s), one of my friends even mentioned appendix, or could it be another type of infection?

Last thing, I promise. Does anyone know of a good urologist in the chicago area? Apparently mine is crap. Thanks so much.

Becky,
    Chicago
    T11-12
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

When did you last have an ultrasound or CT of your kidneys, ureters and bladder? If it has not been done recently (should be done at least annually) you need to have it done. It is rare to have a UTI cause kidney pain for this long after an infection. You could have a stone, but you could also have an abscess or cyst. The only way to know is to get an ultrasound and/or CT done.

I would recommend calling RIC for a recommendation for a good neurologic urologist in the Chicago area. Speak to the nurse in the SCI outpatient clinic.

(KLD)

Thanks so much. Called Northwestern actually and have an appointment with Ed's urologist in three weeks. I had an ultrasound done at my appointment back in July so it hasn't been that long since I had. I figured I still shouldn't be having pain but when the nurse told me it should be fine I wanted to believe her. Guess I can't do that. Thanks again.

Becky,
    Chicago
    T11-12
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!