Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ongoing Sweating

Ongoing Sweating

Hi, I’m a post 37 years SCI 5-6C. For over a month and half I have been sweating night and day non stop. I was in the hospital for 5 days but all tests that were done were negative (Ultra Sound, Chest X-Ray as well Urine test). I was wondering if any of you (SCI) have ever experienced what I am experiencing.

Your input is much appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Sweating

I use to sweat a lot too. It is one of my Autonomic Disreflexia symptoms. It usually means I am in pain. I was sweating b/c my bladder would spasm. It could possibly be b/c u have a infection or you just might need to be on ditropan (or something similar) or increase your dose if your already on it. I thought I had an infection and for about six weeks I was sweating a lot. I finally increased my ditropan one day and I quit sweating the next. Don't drink less water, try drinking more. When I was sweating I avoided water but it made the symptoms worse. I have also had the same response when I had a bed sore below my level of feeling and when it was irritated I would sweat. You should talk to a urologist or another doctor before you try anything.

Hi,
    It must be frustrating not to know why this occurring. Did your doctor give you any options on how to deal with this.

I did experience this once and once the work-up did not show anything significant, the person got some relief from a blood pressure medication clonidine. One would have to try this under the guidance of your doctor and could not consider this if you have any history of low blood pressure.

AAD

Oohh man, i feel your pain. For some reason it appears that quite a few people at our level are going through the same stuff. It's late but i'll post some stuff for you in the morning.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    I ditto Zam. I'm 22 years post C5/6 C. However, I've never sweat for 6 weeks straight! My worst was for about a week, after major hemorrhoid surgery, and then 4-6 hours during/after each bowel movement for another month, until it healed. I'm sure all of that was due to pain, but I never felt it.

I ALWAYS sweat during bc.

I used to sweat from sitting on a too hard cushion, until I finally figured it out (and switched from Jay to Roho). This was before ever getting any kind of pressure sore. The sweating is a good early indicator. I was actually taking antibiotics for self-misdiagnosed UTI's when the real problem was sitting pressure.

I don't take ditropan because it would block the sweating and I might not know when something is wrong.

Today, I sweat all afternoon and I don't know why yet. It's scary not knowing (but I think it might be a toenail problem). After 37 years of SCI, you must know your body pretty well. I hope you figure this out soon.

How profuse is your sweating? Is it the same in bed as in the wheelchair? Do you have periods when it subsides somewhat? As someone said, keep drinking, to avoid dehydration. Do you remember what was going on in your life when it started? Was your hospital stay because of the sweating or something else?

I only sweat above my injury level. Putting a t-shirt or towel around my neck to soak up the sweat helps reduce the suffering. (But it also causes a rash when you sweat profusely for days.)
    Last edited by dnvrdave; 02-18-2008 at 12:13 AM.

Is significant blood pressure elevation associated with your sweating? If so, then it is probably AD. If not, it is something else. Some people have excessive inappropriate sweating when they have a syrinx. I would want to be sure that this is not the case before treating it or assuming it is AD, esp. before I took any blood pressure medications that could make your blood pressure go too low if it is not really AD.

(KLD)

It’s kind of strange last night before going to bed I was prepared with a few towels but somehow I barely sweated, I got up this morning and I haven’t sweated yet. Tomorrow I will see the doctor and maybe we can discuss all the options.

DNVRDAVE – You are right that I should know my body but unfortunately over the years the symptoms do change and are not what they used to be and this makes it very difficult to know what is wrong.

KDL – My blood pressure has been 80/60 for the past 30 years.

im inc c4/5. i get the sweats from discomfort, light ad. no blood pressure elevation.
    example, if im sleeping real well ill start to sweat because im not moving as much as usual at night
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

oldquad, or anyone else you can join us in this thread about sweating if you'd like. It would be easier than bouncin back a forth.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

I used to have a problem with severe sweating below my injury level and in the legs. It would get worse with an infection, but it was always there. The doctors said that it was due to the spinal cord injury and that my body just wasn't regulating my temperature properly. It was miserable and I had to change my sheets at least twice a night, so I feel your pain. I took propantheline, but I think that they took it off the market but it helped a lot if you can get your hands on it. Then I tried inversine which didn't work as well. It has lessened alot after my last back surgery. I don't know why or how, but I am grateful. It still gets bad once in a while though. I hope that yours is something simple and easy to resolve.