Thread: Spinal Stenosis

I would like to know if anyone on this forum has had any experience with wearing The Lerman Non-Invasive Halo brace for problems caused by spinal stenosis? I suffer from moderate severe spinal stenosis of the lumbar spine & I believe it may be affecting my cervical spine as well.

Spinal stenosis is a narrowing of the spinal canal that can sometimes cause compression of the spinal cord or nerve roots, causing neurologic symptoms. It rarely causes spinal instability.

A halo brace is used to keep the spinal immobile during recovery from cervical spinal fractures or surgery so that the fractures or surgery can heal, and to keep the bones from slipping and pinching the cord or roots. A halo brace would not be of any benefit in decreasing symtoms of nerve impingement by spinal stenosis unless you also have something else going on that is causing spinal instability.

Generally if spinal stenosis is severe enough to cause neurologic symptoms, surgery should at least be considered. Have you seen a good neurosurgeon or orthopedist who specializes in spinal surgery? A second opinion is strongly encouraged for considering any spinal stenosis surgery, which also has significant risk of causing neurologic damage itself.

(KLD)