Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra Charge for Accessible Hotel?

Extra Charge for Accessible Hotel?

I am planning to attend the ASQ World Conference on Quality and Improvement in Houston Texas in May for work. When I called Hilton Americas - Houston (1600 Lamar Street) to make reservations they said the ASQ reserved rooms were not accessible. They could reserve the room and request an accessible room at the ASQ group rate of $155 per night. However, they could not guarantee that an accessible room would be available after I travel from California for the conference. If I wanted to reserve an accessible room I would have to pay full price $279 per night. I reluctantly reserved the accessible room knowing it will be a hassle when it comes expense report time.

Is this a normal practice? Have any of you run into this before? I have traveled quite extensively in the 8+ years since my injury and never been charged extra for a room.

Jeff

I would call and complain to the Hotel manager. They should have giving you the $155 rate.

Were I work we have a holiday party and the reserve hotels rooms with a discount. The hotel sets a block of rooms aside and subtracts from that block no matter if it is accessible or not. We dont ask for them to set aside set nbr of accessible rooms.
    Last edited by sparks; 02-15-2008 at 08:23 PM.

we encountered this same problem when my husband was going on a work trip, but allowed to let me go along; thus the need for a hc accessible room. the way we handled it was to go talk to his HR person and they called and made the reservation from the company. i dont know what he said or how he handled it but we got the corporate rate. i dont know if you could handle it that way or not. if your HR person doesnt want to get involved, I would call back to the hotel...not an 800 reservation line, but the actual hotel and ask for a manager and see if you can find satisfaction that way. i cant see how it is legal, but hotels have a vast array of charges for the same rooms. often if you book via the internet you get one price, if you call the 800 reservations number you get another, and if you call that hotel directly you get yet another rate. probably the most painless way is for the company hr representative to make the reservation on your behalf and see if he/she can get you the corporate rate. hope you can work it out as that is a huge difference in price. and btw, i am outraged that they will not reserve the room for you as if it were any other room. i think if it were me, i would lodge a complaint with the corporate office of Hilton.

Quote Originally Posted by JBERRY
    When I called Hilton Americas - Houston (1600 Lamar Street) to make reservations they said the ASQ reserved rooms were not accessible. They could reserve the room and request an accessible room at the ASQ group rate of $155 per night. However, they could not guarantee that an accessible room would be available after I travel from California for the conference. If I wanted to reserve an accessible room I would have to pay full price $279 per night. I reluctantly reserved the accessible room knowing it will be a hassle when it comes expense report time.
    This is a load of crap. Accessible rooms should be available at the lowest rate the hotel offers and if your group reserved a block of rooms, you should not be prevented from staying in a room that works for you, but at the same rate offered to AB guests. I suggest you make a point of this when you get to the hotel. Insist on speaking to a manager and agree to only pay the same rate everyone else is. Have this discussion at the front desk, in front of other guests. Be firm, but polite. This is an untenable position for the hotel.

C.

I've had the same situation happen to me in Whistler BC in October, tried to book the lowest advertised rate & get a accessible room, they told me me the cheapo rooms were in the older part of the hotel & not accessible, so I ended up booking at the higher rate to get the room.

JBerry, call the hotel manager directly and explain the problem. They will more than likely be very accommodating! Way too much water runs through when you are not communicating to the person most responsible for your satisfaction. The industry is indeed complicated by so many different entities selling rooms under various rules...to make a long story short. Just call the hotel directly (ASAP) and nicely explain to the general manager what your needs are. Do NOT wait until you arrive to begin your request. By that time, the room is literally taken by someone else and they will have no chance to accommodate your request. Bet you will be 100% pleased. Call the G.M. from 9am-5pm for the booking!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY
    Do NOT wait until you arrive to begin your request. By that time, the room is literally taken by someone else and they will have no chance to accommodate your request.
    The OP stated they had already booked the accessible room. That being done, they can try to get this done over the phone now and/or speak to them in person when they get to the hotel. In general, I agree with your statement though. One shouldn't wait until arrival to confirm an accessible room.

C.

Def. go to the manager. I had a cheapo motel today tell me all the rooms that take pets are on the 2nd floor. Want to take bets on whether there is an elevator? I guess Wheelchair users don't have dogs.

Never heard of more $$ for accessible. I'm betting you got a newbie. Take it on up the chain of command.

Yeah, wheelchair users don't have dogs or children...*sigh*
    I agree to go up the chain. I can only imagine the person you spoke to doesn't understand. We have had good luck with Hilton brand. We travel for conferences twice a year and prefer to stay in Hiltons on those trips because they have been consistent with accessibility. The rooms aren't in the block, but it only takes a second for them to switch it out.

Houston itself is really quite accessible (we live here). There is almost no where in the city my husband cant get to.
    - Moody

Cool

use the word BLOCK not reserve when making a reservation
    ask for room # on your documentation

charging you more, I believe. maybe illegal in this instance as their is an accesible room. It just doesn't make sense.

Talk to the manager, always get people's names and have written things emailed and/or faxed.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.