Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much fluid in ounces, does it take to completely fill bladder?

How much fluid in ounces, does it take to completely fill bladder?

I am wondering how many ounces of fluid, does it take to completely fill bladder. My son (18) and I were told for his age maximimum capacity is 425. What does that mean in ounces?
    Thanks,
    Diana

About 14 fluid ounces.....

Tom

Hi Diana,

Normal bladder capacity is between 400-600cc.
    30cc=1oz so 13-20oz typically.

This site has good information on the bladder.

http://www.seekwellness.com/incontin...dder_works.htm

AAD

I was told years ago that a normal adult bladder holds 500cc's. I had testing done last spring and my 'urge to purge' kicked in with my lovely ole headache at 325cc's.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BC...en_by_Internet

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Your urge to purge...is this when you can go? Is your headache your indicator?
    If my sons capacity is approx. 425, (based on his age) and he is only urinating when bladder is full or near full ( about once per day, if lucky) how much fluid would he be retaining, before urge to go. His indicator is abdominal pain, this is when he is able to urinate. ( his urge to purge)
    Can the bladder fill so full, past this point leading to the abdominal pain.He still has some mild leakage, but cannot urinate on demand.
    Is it safe to drink alot of water at once, to get to the point that he would be able to finally urinate?
    THANK-YOU!
    DIANA

Urge to purge is David's saying - lol - sorry. Yes, that's when I know I have to go ... but I can't hold it. A headache is not a good indicator of when you should go to the washroom ... but I've been doing this for years and am not wanting to switch up my methods 20+ years later.

I would hope he goes more than once a day!? The danger would be urine backing up through the ureters which can damage the kidneys. Kidney damage cannot be undone.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BC...en_by_Internet

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I liked your saying urge to purge, I wasn't being sarcastic. He is going back to urologist on 25th, regarding retention.
    I am wondering if thats why he can hold so much, if its backing up to point he gets abdominal pain. Then finally he can go.
    Is it safe to experiment...and have him drink lots of water, until we reach his urge to purge?
    Diana

We were taught to cath every 4-6 hours depending on how much you drink. I can't imagine going only once a day. That is asking for a UTI we we were taught. Sometimes my daughter goes in 2 hours, again depending on how much she drinks. She would leak for sure if she only went once a day.

He has had this problem since June. In Dec. urodynamics was done. They tested for bladder infection, no infection.
    If he could go, he would, but can't. I have wondered about uti. He on occasion has had dark urine. We are going back to original Urologist. I called him about retention, he wants to see him. He would have seen him next week, but we have two other doc appointments. I had to push it back.
    Does anyone know if it is safe to have him drink lots of water, until he gets to abdominal pain and can go. How much water is to much??
    I am curious about if it is maximum capacity, that causes his abdominal pain...and...urge to purge (lol).
    Or is it something that happens later...
    Thanks!
    Diana

I'm guessing everybody is different. When i have no UTI i usually get 600-800 cc's and thats cathing every 4 hours. Been like that for over 4 years. So i assume everyone's bladder is a different size.