Thread: nonocclusive dressing

nonocclusive dressing

I was told to use a nonocclusive dressing over prisma is telfa considered a nonocclusive dressing?
    "Yesterday's History,Tomorrow's a Mystery"

HI,
    The non-occlusive dressing usally used over prisma is tegaderm (which resembles saran wrap and is sticky to secure the prisma in place).
    You would not want a dressing that is airtight so as to not allow breathability.

You could always call the customer care phone numbaer on the prisma packaging and ask what products they do/don't suggest. Thre are so many products these days, it is better to directly ask.

AAD

If tegaderm resembles saran wrap isn't that air tight?
    "Yesterday's History,Tomorrow's a Mystery"

Tegaderm LOOKS like saran wrap, but is not the same thing. It is far more fancy, and unlike saran wrap, it is porous, meaning it has tiny little holes that allows air and gases to escape, but not liquids. It also has an adhesive backing on one side, unlike saran wrap. It IS transparent however, like saran wrap, which allows you to see the wound/dressing without removing the tegaderm. It also costs a whole lot more than saran wrap. Please do not use saran wrap as a dressing, it would be an example of an occlusive dressing, not a non-occlusive dressing.

The suggestion to call the Prisma company is good. I would be more inclined to call the doctor that told you to use the non-occlusive dressing to specifically ask what he had in mind, since only he knows the specifics of your problem. For example, did he want a cover that would help the Prisma dressing to remain moist (tegaderm or op-site, another common brand), or did he want something that would absorb excess drainage (gauze sponges), a possibility if there is a lot of drainage? Or maybe he doesn't care. Until then, Telfa should be fine, as long as it is not covered completely with a waterproof (occlusive) tape. However, Telfa won't keep the Prisma dressing moist, nor is it considered absorbent, so it wouldn't be MY first choice. Tegaderm, and similar products, have the advantage that you can shower or bathe with them in place. They are waterproof from the outside in, and prevent the entrance of bacteria. Handy if you have been instructed to leave the Prisma in place for several days, which I am quite sure is even more pricey. In any case, I think you can get reimbursed for the cost of both the Prisma and the Tegaderm or other dressing materials, even though I don't believe they are prescription items. They would fall into the same category as catheters and such.

Good luck, I hope the pressure sore heals quickly!

P.S. To answer your question, technically, yes, telfa is a non-occlusive dressing. Just make sure this is what your doctor had in mind, okay?
    Last edited by dunwawry; 02-12-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    The non-occlusive dressing usally used over prisma is tegaderm
    Yeah, I just added tegaderm to the list of medical adhesives I'm allergic to. I'm running out of options.

C.