Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Deputy dumps quadriplegic man in wheelchair onto the floor

Glad this is getting national coverage, I would definately sue the city if I were him.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Is this my cousin Rodney?

Hey, is this Rodney Moore? My cousin Rodney? This is Kelli.

no, sorry

"But he was pierced for our transgressions,he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed" Isa 53:5

Great video link and Today Show interview but what's with this "downpression" business?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Apparently the most efficient method is to lift rear of chair to deposit individual onto floor so that easy access to all body areas can be accomplished

Ok, we heard the outrage...gotta throw some humor in here to keep people away from thoughts of wrist-slitting and noose finding, lol.

<resume expressions of outrage>
    the quickest method i guess!
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

This is a great link to Today Show interview with Sterner and his lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod the Quad
    go to WWW.todayshow.com scroll thru "todays videos" to "deputy dumps man from wheelchair"
    this is UNBELIEVABLE, I hope this deputy looses her job at the very least
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
    the quickest method i guess!
    Yes but potentially embarassing and very expensive.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Herco16
    Firing an officer is difficult. In most situations it takes more than the Chief or Sheriff saying the magic words, it takes city council or county commisioners to agree and pass a vote.

A suspension is probably all they could do for the time being.

Dave
    In talking with my best friend today, we both discussed another possibility. If the officers were to be fired, it opens the department and city to a variety of probable lawsuits. Fired officers could alledge improper training and supervision which, in part or whole, caused the act dumping of Brian. Fired officers could also point to supervisors who were aware of the incident as it occurred and did nothing.

By suspending instead of firing, the department limits its liability and culpability on those who've been suspended. Yes, the officers are reprimanded and suspended, but the local government is off the hook for any training, supervision and direction it did or did not provide for its LEOs.

It's all about the bottom line. Apparently one litigant against the department is seen as better than a slew of litigants, including fired officers.

While I'm angry about what happened to this man, I'd like to look ahead. What can be done to help prevent incidents such as this in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Liz321 - RE: His Chair - I'm not sure, but maybe he wanted to go for a drive and simply decided to leave his chair in the garage (he owns a house) and not bother with loading it in his car since he wasn't planning on getting out anywhere.
    I'm thinking this seems to by why he wasn;t in his chair. So therefore, at the site of the traffic incident, the officers there had to know he needed a wheelchair, and somehow get him into it. I can't picture many who could transfer from a mini cooper to a "hospital grade" chair with out help. ANd they had to come up with the chair! (Unless he drives around with a spare in the oh so roomy trunk of the mini cooper?)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

This same topic was reported in about six separate threads. I have merged all of them into this one.

wise.