Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Deputy dumps quadriplegic man in wheelchair onto the floor

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    That's a very good point. And them just trying to get up isn't a threat, so an officer beating them down again or tazing them again because they're "disobeying" is simply a sadistic power trip, in my opinion.
    It appears that to some LEOs, any person disobeying a command is viewed as a threat. I am sure that in many instances this is a logical and prudent conclusion. However, when a LEO uses force, her training must guide her in determining the reasonable level needed to control that threat.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

This one's not as clear as to what happened, though it does seem like he went to grab her pretty aggressively out of nowhere. It's too bad there's no sound, because it'd help to know what they were saying. I'm inclined to say he crossed the line, but I'm not as solid in that as I am watching the other two videos in this thread.
    I agree, this one is not clear-cut like the others. BUT, after seeing her X-rays, I can't possibly see how she could have that ''fracture'' pre-arrest. That is a clean break! Even tho there is no sound, it shouldn't matter what was said for the LEO to be so forceful. It didn't appear by her posture that she was being combative in any way.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    However, when a LEO uses force, her training must guide her in determining the reasonable level needed to control that threat.
    I'd insert overkill instead of reasonable. I watch a lot of reality cop-related shows. Ever see the 8 on 1 gang tackle? I've seen a suspect facedown and arms to their sides and 5 cops pile on. Seen several tased, go down and then gang tackled. I understand a certain amount of LEO's are needed to control the situation quickly, but a lot of times it's overkill. Seems some just want a piece of the action.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

AB's Opinion...
    It wreaked of ignorance. Not just of SCI, but in basic human dignity.

My ex-husband is a cop, and I know that there is a certain "humor" that they either already have or acquire to cope with their jobs. That is what I saw when the other people laughed on the video.

Massive de-sensitization toward humans in general. I think that LEO's tend to forget that the they are dealing with the bottom 3% of society, and that not everyone with which they deal are evil, lying, scumbags.

The Deputy herself probably did not see the problem of dealing with someone this way. Possible reasoning:

1. If he is a quad, he won't feel anything anyway, so no harm no foul.

2. If he is faking, he will catch himself and we can have a laugh at how we caught him.

3. He is a criminal. All criminals should be treated without respect because they do not respect the law. I represent the law, therefore he doesn't respect me.

Thanks,

Liz
    I wished upon a falling star, I wished it had not fallen...

zilnh - Thanks for that response. I think you're right, and your ideas on the Deputy's possible thinking make sense though they wouldn't excuse her actions they way I think she and others might like.

Foolish & Jeff - I concur.

I'm curious what people who are AB think when seeing the video of Brian getting dumped out of his wheelchair. JCAT? Anyone?

My cousin saw it and cried, but then she has helped me in the past getting out of bed, on/off the sofa, etc. So she has a more personal perspective.
    It made me angry. I would have wanted to lash out at her had I been there and then quickly get the gentleman off the floor. Maybe help the gentlemen up off the floor first and then beat the crap out of her. Who knows which would have come first. Probably be determined by the discomfort of the person on the floor.

I think she demonstrated her lack of .... (so many things which to name first)
    intelligence, compassion, common sense,....

I don't know - I've seen dogs smarter than her!

In my opinion, she resigned before they fired her so she could find work elsewhere.
    Being fired makes you harder to hire. It's the start of her sweeping this incident under a life-long rug.

She is despicable plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth29
    It made me angry. I would have wanted to lash out at her had I been there and then quickly get the gentleman off the floor. Maybe help the gentlemen up off the floor first and then beat the crap out of her. Who knows which would have come first. Probably be determined by the discomfort of the person on the floor.

I think she demonstrated her lack of .... (so many things which to name first)
    intelligence, compassion, common sense,....

I don't know - I've seen dogs smarter than her!

In my opinion, she resigned before they fired her so she could find work elsewhere.
    Being fired makes you harder to hire. It's the start of her sweeping this incident under a life-long rug.

She is despicable plain and simple.
    No offense, and not to get personal, but I'm betting she would have pepper sprayed you and beat you down as soon as you flexed.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    No offense, and not to get personal, but I'm betting she would have pepper sprayed you and beat you down as soon as you flexed.
    hahaha - you're probably right !!
    I guess she'd have reason 'cause if she sprayed me I'd start biting !!!

reference to the other complaint where the officer claimed she was worried about getting bit

The videos coming out of that police station are quite disturbing.
    That other one who knocked on the window -
    she didn't seem very aggressive to have gotten the treatment she did in the video as they lead her away.

It's just appalling....

BTW - ALA, I have been sharing that YouTube of the star trek cat fight with many people - it's hilarious (thanks) !!

Quote Originally Posted by RaeRae
    Third person accuses Hills. Sheriff's Office of abuse....
    That's bizarre. Why did he just attack her? Did she have something behind her back that we can't see in the video? Or did she seem to have something behind her back and wouldn't show him her hand, so then he used force to get her to comply?

C.

I wonder if there are ever statistics compiled about how many/what percentage of people arrested at a given police station go to the ER, get xrayed at the in-house facility , or simply leave with broken bone(s) (basically, how many get the crap beat out of them)vs. total number of people arrested at the same place. A comparison of such a ratio from other police stations and this one might well tell a lot about this Hillsboro station.

I think it is telling that, in the instance of the beaten and bloody woman on the 2nd video, the police tried to charge her with assaulting an officer. The county attorney (I think that was his title) dropped the charges after viewing the tape, or so it said on that link.

I think brutality may be contagious, in that people get jaded and hardened, and it comes to be SOP. It is really looking like the whole crew needs re-educated. I never expected all these people to come out of the woodwork when Sterner got dumped on the floor!

Is it just me, or is it odd that they have in-house xray facilities? Wouldn't they have to then have technicians, and radiologists to read the xrays?