Thread: New suprapubic catheter - questions

New suprapubic catheter - questions

Chad got a suprapubic catheter put in last Thursday. Surgery went fine, urine has been draining fine. A tinge of blood the first day, and a trickle of urine out of the stoma the first 48 hours here and there, but only a few drops. He has a bit of urine and blood trickle out of the head of the penis on the first day, but that appears to be normal from what I've read here and other places.

My question now: he has been having increasing levels of pain in his gut (as far as he can tell, he can't really pinpoint where his pain is coming from too well). Just now I saw a trickle of dried blood on the penis head and a tiny bit of blood in the tubing - so it must have been pretty fresh. However, more worrying, I squeezed the penis a little to massage down any remaining urine or blood and a pussy milky fluid came out instead. This has me quite concerned.

I have a call into the doctor, but they are horrible about calling back in a timely way, and they've now gone on their 2 hour lunch break (grrrr). He is on a sulfa drug, and he is in some pain. THe pus discharge (or whatever it is??) has stopped and was only a few drops.

Should I be worried? Just wanted to ask here while we await a call back from the doctor. Advice from anyone is appreciated.

Thanks, Ami
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Hi,

If the fluid is clearish or whitish and in small amounts, this could be considered normal fluid. If he is not running a fever other systemic symptoms, I think you're safe to wait for the doctor to call back.

AAD

Thank you for your prompt response, it was very reassuring. The dr's office returned my call and said the same thing. And I think that I found the source of the issue - although I can't be sure, I think the external catheter was kinked a bit which was likely putting pressure back up into the bladder causing the mild leaking. I have now re-routed the catheter and gently tied it down to the bedrail to reduce it from bending at the joint between the external and the internal catheter, right on the leg strap. Chad feels alot better after I straightened it, and no more leakage. Thanks again.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    However, more worrying, I squeezed the penis a little to massage down any remaining urine or blood and a pussy milky fluid came out instead.
    not to make light of your topic... but you might want to use different terminology or spelling, when it comes to "puss-like" fluid...