Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PT with Wii

wii fit for health and recovery

Hi,

Here is an important tip to use wii fit for the fitness and also for speedy reocovery from injuries.

Wii Fit takes this into consideration by offering four basic types of categories to train in: strength, yoga, aerobics, and balance. Each category works to benefit mind, body, and spirit in different exercises and motions. To help video game players out, the kind makers of Wii Fit have also made the Wii Balance Board. This peripheral enables consumers to weigh themselves, calculate body mass, measure center of gravity, and do a number of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by smith99 View Post
    Hi,

Here is an important tip to use wii fit for the fitness and also for speedy reocovery from injuries.

Wii Fit takes this into consideration by offering four basic types of categories to train in: strength, yoga, aerobics, and balance. Each category works to benefit mind, body, and spirit in different exercises and motions. To help video game players out, the kind makers of Wii Fit have also made the Wii Balance Board. This peripheral enables consumers to weigh themselves, calculate body mass, measure center of gravity, and do a number of other things.
    This is all well and good but the balance board does not help someone with an injury which keeps them from standing on it. You cannot get good readings on weight or on your level of balance, and just try doing some of those games from your chair. It is not helpful for people like me (I know...I have tried).
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

wheeliecoach, I know what you mean! We have a WiiFit, and I can manage to do a few of the balance exercises by sitting on it, but most of the activities just don't work. I try to focus on using the other games, but I usually use it more for fun than fitness.

I wish there was a wii fit pad that was like the pressure mapping pad, something soft you could sit on it your chair!

Wiihab!

You can sit on the board to do some games but you need to be able to get yourself from your chair to the floor or have someone to help.

I had stopped playing on my games consoles until the wii came out. I orginally got mario and zelda with it but as my fine motor skills have progressed over the last few years I struggle to play those now. It can take me an hour to just complete one small part if it involves alot of jumping from platform to platform or switching between weapons alot in zelda.

I was about to sell mine when wii fit was been released and it mentioned a section on balance exercises (I have ataxia - balance & co-ordination problems). As it was £70 my mate bought it first for her kids but brought it round to show me so we could see if I could manage to do the exercises with the walking frame around the wii board. I could manage enough of them to do an half hour routine so decided to buy wii fit for myself instead of selling the wii console.

Best decision I made! Had it a few years now I can do alot more of the exercises then I could orginally, particuarly I can stand for longer with support (also have leg splints which I take off before i weigh myself!) I have also found those wrist weights useful too for steadying my arms (I have some slight involuntary movements when trying to do an action).

I use the wii fit to exercise legs for standing/balance exercises and use wii sports to give my arms a good workout (from sitting in w/c for better stability) for tennis and boxing. For some games i can also play from sitting on a beancube with legs at each side or in "W' shape on floor as you did as kids. I found that has also helped strenghten back and core muscles and helped my sitting balance.

There has still been progression but I think the fact that i can still do as much as I can for myself is from doing these exercises everyday because the wii makes physio fun.

I now choose games depending on what parts of body/brain they exercise and try and choose a variety between ones that exercise fine motor skills, upper arms like tennis based games etc or wii ski i can manage the slalom part on wii fit board as it starts you off and you only have to lean left or right. (adventure part you need to hold nunchuk and wii remote as well even if using balance board so no free hands if you need to hang on to something!) the rest of the game I play from sitting.

There are quite a few new fitness based games coming out so it would be interesting to see if any of them could have enough exercises you could adapt to do from wheelchair as well?

My fitness trainer has a yoga section and as you dont need to hold a controller you could do your own versions of what she is doing. However there's alot of jumping about in all other sections which it maybe hard to find an alternative for. It does split the workouts though into upper body, lower body, core muscles, yoga, stretching or something.

I thought I had heard a rumour about Korinopa 2 been brought out with balance board compatibility, and it working in a similar way to the table tilt game on wii fit. so you are just practising standing and leaning from left to right to tilt balls around a maze. Thought that would be a good one for ataxia. Is it out in US yet?

My wife's PT used it with her the other week.
    I think it would be excellent for her arm & shoulder ROM.
    - Richard

I have tried a different fitness game, but I don't use it in conjunction with the fit pad, it's Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2009. I have good enough trunk strength that I can do the arm motions for the exercises (kayaking, running, punching) you can even trick it for some of the moves, if I bend over really fast it will think I've done a squat.

This gets me out of breath quickly, I think it's a pretty good cardio workout. I do it when I get tired of the Vita Glide.

I really enjoy playing the Nintendo Wii. It's the first game console I've been able to play and I can even play it from bed. The problem I have is finding someone to set it up on my hand and play with me, or just leaving me alone after that. Otherwise, tennis is my favorite game and maybe almost everybody I know at baseball. It really helps me work with my balance and I think every rehab center should have one. Not only would I get a workout, I would be smiling too.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Cool WII is the Bomb lol

as an incomplete c-7 walking quad, with 2 tendon transfers on my right hand for extra function, total left shoulder replacement and very little balance the WII and the sports package iis the Freakin ultimate.

I can stand and bowl a game , taxing but great exercise, the boxing gives my replacement shoulder an amazing workout, and of couse the tennis and the golf .

what more can you say.

Use it or lose it.
    Exercise, even if it is just swinging at air lol

no matter what level you are is is of the UPMOST importance to do something.

Peace
    sci post 17 years

Exactly...I love the Wii and it helps tremendously...but the wii fit...that relies on the balance board? When you cannot stand...that makes it difficult to do things that game requires.

Tennis and bowling are fun...but boxing...there is a workout!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I love wii! part of my PT is playing wii while in a standing frame - boxing & tennis are my favorites - it gives me something to do while in the standing frame! Boxing with cuff weights on kicks my ass ..............

Muhammed A-Wii
    Inc C4 since Oct 07

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" - Optimus Prime