Thread: Leg Strength

Leg Strength

Does leg strength ever return? I don't mean to pre injury levels but i suppose i mean to an acceptable level for walking. I understand i am being to general and peoples recoveries will vary but some days i'm on my walking frame and feeling strong yet other days weak but every day i set off weak in the morning. I try and get up and walk as much as possible and do exercises but i am sometimes disheartend by this washed out feeling..

If you are improving keep trying. I met a guy last night that started walking after 23 weeks after his injury 1998 and he is still going and he just started to get feeling back 3 months ago. He is having overheating prolblems and all the other stuff but it is still improving. I am finally to the point where if I keep moving I don't notice it as mcuh . When I stop is and try to settle down and relax is the worst and the pain starts to eat at you agian. I am 14 months post and have felt things come back on for the last 6 months. It is a brutal trial and it sucks the whole way cause it is so slow to change and very frustrating and fights you all the way.

I agree with you stevegalliazzo, I'm 18 months out, and still seeing returns, it seems like its like boom fast return with sci, slow, or none. Unfort the slow sucks and very frustrating but hey you have to be thankful you have return at all!
    I have more to claim.
    I have to fight through the hard places
    to go and get it!

most recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg

Quote Originally Posted by mandorallen View Post
    Does leg strength ever return? I don't mean to pre injury levels but i suppose i mean to an acceptable level for walking. I understand i am being to general and peoples recoveries will vary but some days i'm on my walking frame and feeling strong yet other days weak but every day i set off weak in the morning. I try and get up and walk as much as possible and do exercises but i am sometimes disheartend by this washed out feeling..
    First, congratulations on the return you have experienced.
    Sounds like a muscle fatigue problem. Perhaps you should consider walking in the frame every other day and stand for longer lengths of time on none walking days. Glute exercises and strengthening are critical to walking and standing. Just be patient and allow your muscles a sufficient amount of time to recover; this leads to strengthening your glutes and other leg muscles