Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permobil

Permobil

Well, it's starting to look like I'll be going with a Permobil C300 for my next chair. What have been anyone's experience with these, any major issues?

The front wheel drive and rear wheel steering wheel take getting used to, I've been doing the 'traditional' rear wheel drive for about 22-23 years now, so it'll be a change.

After title XIX and insurance, we may be about 25k out of pocket though. Does anyone have any funding possibilities for funding options.

I've been working on a chair now for a year and a half, it will be nice to be done, but not sure I'm happy. It has things I like, tilt, recline, seat elevator, but still doesn't seem right, cost, front wheel drive, no standing. The guy I've been working with says this is all that's left though for what would work for me. I guess I'm still open for suggestions.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

I just got a Permobil C300. I love it the front wheel drive took some getting use to. The tilt and recline are great i was sick last week and took some great naps in it. The elevator is nice also i can reach things and talk to people at their height. Any other questions feel free to ask. anty
    For every minute you're angry you lose a second of happiness

I have a Chairman 2k 500 corpus. I've only had it a year. I don't use it every day but it's been good so far.

Although it is less stylish, slower, and more expensive, the C400 has a shorter overall length than the C300 (34.5 -vs-43) and is also available with a vent tray.

I have pics of several chin control Permobil's I've done. PM me if you would like me to send them to you.

Red face Permobil

Hi,

My husband is a C2-C3 quad and he got a Permobil chair last fall. We are trying hard to return it. Here is why:

Problems and dislikes

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3">Seat only tilts 30 degrees. Must have 45 degree tilt to get properly positioned each morning. My understanding is that the 45 degree tilt would raise the floor-to-seat height. This would cause a problem getting into and out of my van. Currently, I need to duck my head when going through the doorway. Once inside, my head slightly rubs on the ceiling. I tilt back far enough to prevent banging my head when going over bumps, but it still does sometimes.
    • Sip-n-Puff is cumbersome to use.
    º I have trouble stopping when I need to stop. It takes too long to “step down” through the speeds. Using a long hard sip requires a good amount of effort and I still miss the mark.
    º There is a definite lack of fine control. This causes a problem when trying to maneuver in tight places. Example: getting positioned in front of my computer keyboard. Because of my limited head movement, I need to be in precisely the right spot in order to grab the mouthstick. It is very difficult to make minor adjustments; 1inch to the left, a half inch closer, etc.
    • <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3">The tilt-recline is noisy and too fast. I cannot make minor adjustments. <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3">When in motion, the chair makes a constant “whirring” sound that gets louder as I increase the speed. This is very annoying. I’m a very “low-profile” type person and the last thing I want is to have more attention drawn to myself. <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3">My Hoyer-Lift does not fit under the chair easily. Even with the legs spread far apart, it’s necessary to approach the chair at an awkward angle. My bedroom is small and this is very difficult to do. <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3">When sitting in the chair, my legs tend to bow out to each side because there is no legrest support to prevent it from happening. <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3">The chair is very heavy, not easy for my wife to maneuver.
    • The placement of the armrests make the chair much wider than it should be. I can fit through doorways, but it requires a lot of attention as there’s not much room for error.
    Hope this helps you!

Quote Originally Posted by Robynfaith
    Hi,

My husband is a C2-C3 quad and he got a Permobil chair last fall. We are trying hard to return it. Here is why:

Problems and dislikes

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3">Seat only tilts 30 degrees. Must have 45 degree tilt to get properly positioned each morning. My understanding is that the 45 degree tilt would raise the floor-to-seat height. This would cause a problem getting into and out of my van. Currently, I need to duck my head when going through the doorway. Once inside, my head slightly rubs on the ceiling. I tilt back far enough to prevent banging my head when going over bumps, but it still does sometimes.
    • Sip-n-Puff is cumbersome to use.
    º I have trouble stopping when I need to stop. It takes too long to “step down” through the speeds. Using a long hard sip requires a good amount of effort and I still miss the mark.
    º There is a definite lack of fine control. This causes a problem when trying to maneuver in tight places. Example: getting positioned in front of my computer keyboard. Because of my limited head movement, I need to be in precisely the right spot in order to grab the mouthstick. It is very difficult to make minor adjustments; 1inch to the left, a half inch closer, etc.
    • <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3">The tilt-recline is noisy and too fast. I cannot make minor adjustments. <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3">When in motion, the chair makes a constant “whirring” sound that gets louder as I increase the speed. This is very annoying. I’m a very “low-profile” type person and the last thing I want is to have more attention drawn to myself. <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3">My Hoyer-Lift does not fit under the chair easily. Even with the legs spread far apart, it’s necessary to approach the chair at an awkward angle. My bedroom is small and this is very difficult to do. <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3">When sitting in the chair, my legs tend to bow out to each side because there is no legrest support to prevent it from happening. <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3">The chair is very heavy, not easy for my wife to maneuver.
    • The placement of the armrests make the chair much wider than it should be. I can fit through doorways, but it requires a lot of attention as there’s not much room for error.
    Hope this helps you!
    Sounds like a lot of your problem as far as movement is in the programming. Your dealer should be able to reprogram the chair to your specifications to fit the needs of what you want. I'm not sure about the tilt and what they can do with that. Sounds like y'all need to demo some chairs before ordering so you know what we'll and will not work before you order it. Your supplier should be able to do that for you.

I have the C300 and overall it is a pretty decent chair. The frontwheel drive took a little getting used to but works well inside the house and general driving. The independent suspension makes for a smoother ride but also tends to rock more on uneven ground. My major problem is that if I try to stop on a downhill slope it sometimes wants to tilt forward causing the wheels to come off the ground. We have adjusted and adjusted and cannot get all of that out of the chair. Only way to completely stop it is to slow the chair down which this speed demon will not do.
    Last edited by HeathQuad; 02-13-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Permobil

Thank you for taking the time to reply. They have tried many times to program it for my husband. He uses sip n puff and it just doesn't respond fast enough.

It just isn't a good chair for him. He hasn't ever been comfortable in it. Only used it when they came to try to get it to work for him. It isn't safe since he can't stop in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Robynfaith
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. They have tried many times to program it for my husband. He uses sip n puff and it just doesn't respond fast enough.

It just isn't a good chair for him. He hasn't ever been comfortable in it. Only used it when they came to try to get it to work for him. It isn't safe since he can't stop in time.
    Well hopefully they can get something to work out for you. Talk to your supplier about getting different chairs for your husband to demo. There is no one perfect chair for everyone and you may need something totally different. They should be able to do this. Stay on them constantly because most of them will not correct things if you do not.

I've always used a chin controlled joystick as I'm not windy enough to do the sip and puff. I don't have a good picture of mine, but it's easier to control and nice not having something in your mouth, in my opinion any way.

When demoing the C300, I noticed the slow response time as well. The dealer of course said it can be programmed better, but I'm glad to have read your experience. The demo model was able to tilt back far enough for me to get positioned, but it seemed to go back much farther than 45 degrees.

After driving rear wheel power and front wheel steering for 20+ years, I'm not thrilled with the rear wheel steering. I'm afraid my ventilator is going to get some "bruises" from the walls and vice versa. I'm not sold on this chair yet, but have yet to find anything else out there that would work.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

I have the exact same problem with my C 300 sip and puff, to me it's totally worthless and so much harder than my old Invacare sip and puff. The Invacare works fantastic right down to a tee. I'm going to go with the head controls as well as putting the joystick in the front as I do have possibly enough right arm movement where I can use it in the public. Has anyone used the headrest controls on this model? Just curious how they would work compared to the chin control and sip and puff?