Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Disaster Preparedness

  1. #1

    Disaster Preparedness

    I was recently asked to consider my disaster plan. That, coupled with the current bad weather, I'm curious who has a disaster plan? Can you be totally self-reliant for the recommended 72 hours?

    What plans have you made? What do you keep on hand and what emergencies are you prepared to cope with?
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

    Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

    "I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

    Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJen
    I was recently asked to consider my disaster plan. That, coupled with the current bad weather, I'm curious who has a disaster plan? Can you be totally self-reliant for the recommended 72 hours?

    What plans have you made? What do you keep on hand and what emergencies are you prepared to cope with?
    I notified the police department that we have a tornado shelter in the garage. We have water, batteries, flashlight, radio down there. That's about it. When the sirens go off I try to have my meds with me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    8,272
    um, uh, no?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

  4. #4
    My area is not prone to natural disaster; blizzard, flood, tornado, earthquake, etc. A major power failure in the summer would be dangerous. I am urban enough that wildfire is not a problem. So, I haven't made any disaster plans.

    Unless the Hoover Dam breaks or the nuclear power plant melts down I can't think of what I'd need to protect myself for. Hence the reason for my question.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

    Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

    "I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

    Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    8,272
    For us, it is really just a power failure as well. I am too far north or inland to have to worry about hurricanes, other than the power issues. We do have flashlights, and camp stoves and lanterns available. Our water doesn;t depend on power. I used to keep extra bottled water, but haven;t replaced that in a long time. My big problem would be heat in winter. I can't function if I am cold. We do have a keresene heater in the garage, and have brought it in before. We have managed about 5 days before, I am sure we could do it again if we had to. No ac really wouldn't be an issue for anyone in the family except for me. I actually don;t handle any heat extreme well, but there are probably only a few days a year that is would be actually dangerous.

    What I don;t have is a plan should we have to pack up and leave quickly for some reason.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJen
    My area is not prone to natural disaster; blizzard, flood, tornado, earthquake, etc. A major power failure in the summer would be dangerous. I am urban enough that wildfire is not a problem. So, I haven't made any disaster plans.

    Unless the Hoover Dam breaks or the nuclear power plant melts down I can't think of what I'd need to protect myself for. Hence the reason for my question.
    The area I live in is also not prone to many natural disasters. But whenever I start feeling too safe where I live I think about the "Great Ice Storm of 1998" that was completely unexpected and left millions of people without power and heat for up to 6 weeks in some places of Ontario and Quebec and knocked out things like medical and rescue services as well. Also an area not usually prone to disaster.

    For me, living on a respirator 24/7, even a brief power outage, which are rare but do occasionally happen here, can constitute a disaster. So I have a fairly comprehensive "disaster plan." Some parts of it: the fire department and police have my apartment "flagged" as priority in the event my building needs to be evacuated. I have a plastic box that holds spares of my essential medical equipment, plus enough food, water, meds, etc to last at least 3 days. It can be easily picked up and carried if needed. I also have a generator. Which thankfully I have no had to use yet. The place I did rehab plus the local Canadian Red Cross helped my family get all this set up for me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Foolish Old's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    16,412
    EVERYBODY in my town with half a brain has a hurricane kit that they replenish each June. We start with water and non-perishable food for three WEEKS, although three days is the minimum recommendation. Propane cook stove and fuel, battery powered flashlights, weather radio, corded phone, crank cell phone charger, gasoline powered generator with fuel, cars topped up, medical supplies, recreational beverages and games, books, ammo...the list goes on.

    In addition, we have an evacuation plan and kit, which includes important documents.
    Foolish

    "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

    "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

  8. #8
    Batteries, flashlight, radio, first aid kit, backpack with meds, waterless hand sanitizer, and other medical gotta haves, h2o, non-perishable food stuffs for a week, food stuffs for Wonder Dog for a week, dog leash, camera with memory cards and extra batteries, small water-resistant folder I can easily handle containing important papers, documents, i.d., visa, cash, atlas, fireplace lighter, assortment of empty Ziplock baggies, sunblock, baseball cap, watch, a plan on where to meet in event of nuclear plant melt-down, an evacuation plan for leaving the city, and post fire, tornado or other natural disaster meeting place.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Foolish Old's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    16,412
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose
    Batteries, flashlight, radio, first aid kit, backpack with meds, waterless hand sanitizer, and other medical gotta haves, h2o, non-perishable food stuffs for a week, food stuffs for Wonder Dog for a week, dog leash, camera with memory cards and extra batteries, small water-resistant folder I can easily handle containing important papers, documents, i.d., visa, cash, atlas, fireplace lighter, assortment of empty Ziplock baggies, sunblock, baseball cap, watch, a plan on where to meet in event of nuclear plant melt-down, an evacuation plan for leaving the city, and post fire, tornado or other natural disaster meeting place.
    CASH - very important post disaster.
    Foolish

    "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

    "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

  10. #10
    Senior Member wheelchairTITAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oakville, ON ... Just North of the 43rd Parallel, SocialistLand
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by JenJen
    My area is not prone to natural disaster; blizzard, flood, tornado, earthquake, etc. A major power failure in the summer would be dangerous. I am urban enough that wildfire is not a problem. So, I haven't made any disaster plans.

    Unless the Hoover Dam breaks or the nuclear power plant melts down I can't think of what I'd need to protect myself for. Hence the reason for my question.
    Look up! Look way up!

    Is that a bus? a train? no it is a falling US spy satellite that is the size of a bus and due to hit earth in the next few months ... hmmm no disasters is a phrase none of us should utter ... probablity vs possibility ... even in Nevada!

    That will be 30:1 odds please that nothing will happen!

    William

    ... rolling since 1989
    ...

    BE NICE!It's free

    P.S. ~ I have "handicapabilities"

    TWITTER: @MacBerry

Similar Threads

  1. Disaster prep for disabled
    By betheny in forum Life
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 05:52 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 04:45 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2002, 03:24 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2002, 10:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •