Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What model/make of car is easiest

What model/make of car is easiest

I tried to research this, but could only find info that was a bit dated. So, what car do you quads find to be easiest to transfer into. 2 door or 4 door, make and model. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

For the most part, a 2dr. car will be easier as the doors are much larger.
    Dave E. C6-7 Incomp. Quad 9-06

"NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!"
    "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"

manual chair?

I;ve heard good things about the mazda 5.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Automobiles

Getting into the vehicle is not the hard part for me but putting my 'chair in is since it is a rigid frame with a fold down back and keeping the wheels on.

Three vehicles that work are the Cheverolt HHR, Volkswagen Jetta Wagon and Ford Focus Estate (wagon). The Volkswagen and Ford models are new for 2008 and are not at the dealership at the moment.

When I was in China I was driven around in a Chery QQ. My 'chair fit with the back down and wheels on! See attached picture of a Chery QQ.

titanium4motion

My son is in a manual chair. He drives a van, but last week he ran the van into a wall and he has been house-bound while it is being fixed. I ran out and rented a new Mustang (what a car!), but the "threshold" from the seat to the door was rather wide and would have been a tough transfer, eventho the seat was perfect height and the door opened really wide. We are thnking of getting another car that he could transfer into, but we are really stumped! Thanks for the advice and I will check out those that you all mentioned! Many thanks!

They stopped making them last year but the Saturn Ion is the best. Two door car but it has two half doors on either side so it is extremely easy to get the chair in and you don't have to drag it over yourself. It is a great little car and you can still find them on Saturn lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Mombo
    I ran out and rented a new Mustang (what a car!), but the "threshold" from the seat to the door was rather wide and would have been a tough transfer, eventho the seat was perfect height and the door opened really wide. We are thnking of getting another car that he could transfer into, but we are really stumped!
    I checked out the Mustang and thought that it wasnt that far away. Most cars will have a gap between the wheelchair and the seat. For a narrower gap, check out the Toyota Solara, that thing seemed really small gap-wise to me.

I'm a quad, so I have a van, but a friend of mine also has a Saturn and it is fairly easy for me to get into because it has wide doors and a third door on one side. There is NO door post to get in the way on the side with the third door. Ion isn't being made now, but they have a brand new model that has the same thing. I believe it's name is Stratus, but in any event the Saturn website would show you.

Many thanks again to all of you! I definitely have some cars to check out. You have all been a great help!

The absolute best wheelchair car was the Cadillac Coupe deville, unfortunately they stopped making them in 1993, I have a 1993 sitting in my driveway that I mainly use to tow my boat with at this point.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred