Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Kevin Everett is missing opportunities 2shed light on SCI community&tell it as it is

  1. #41
    Senior Member DA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    beaumont tx usa
    Posts
    32,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    We dont even know he understands that fact. He may believe we all get the same treatment he does. It would have been better had his doctor made that statement as someone we know has the knowledge and back ground to understand the situation of sci.
    then i wonder what he was thinking we he saw all those ppl at Tirr stuck in the wheelchair not recovering...

  2. #42
    I understand the point that was first person made but it also sounds like that person is more mad at the fact that he used the word God, miracle, and healed in the same sentence. I can understand that person's frustration. I don't know much of anything about this procedure that was done to him but it does sound like from what I've read that it was possible that that's not what helped him so much as that's what would've happened anyway. I always wonder why rich athletes from the ghetto don't use most of their wealth to help former less fortunate victims of racism and segregation instead of buying 20 cars and two-story closets that are bigger than most people's houses(Lebron James). The vast majority of people and that's including everybody here who has posted, and me, have taken lots of things for granted and don't give back near as much as we should. The only reason Christopher Reeve worked so hard is because HE wanted to be cured. I wonder how hard he would've worked for a cure if he would have been in Kevin Everett situation. I'm not saying he wouldn't have done the same thing, I just wonder.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    So basically what your saying is that with the sci community you can't win?
    Pretty much. Nobody is likely to make everybody happy. This problem isn't specific to people with SCI. This occurs in most groups of people.

    C.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    CR couldn't win either. There was no way for him to speak about what he believed passionately without being seen as the mouthpiece for us all. Should he have prefaced every comment with a disclaimer?

    Note: The following is the opinion of the speaker alone. It is not necessarily the opinion of the producers, network, or any schlub in a wheelchair the viewer may encounter at Walmart.
    There's no need to exaggerate or ridicule. All Reeve, or anyone else being publically interviewed, needs to do is say that they aren't speaking for everyone. Hel, I do that when I am speaking to people one-on-one, let alone when I am on camera or interviewed for something that's going to be in print. I make a point of noting that my situation (low level para with excellent financial and community support) can't be compared to that of, say, a vent dependent quad that is stuck in a nursing home. It's not that hard to do. OTOH, some people use "we" and "us" quite liberally in their speech and make a great many generalizations. I wouldn't find that appropriate even if I happened to agree with the speaker.

    C.

  5. #45
    I don't think the responsibility of our advocacy should be placed on one man simply because he was injured.

    I do hope he does develop an interest in helping our cause.


  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    There's no need to exaggerate or ridicule. All Reeve, or anyone else being publically interviewed, needs to do is say that they aren't speaking for everyone. Hel, I do that when I am speaking to people one-on-one, let alone when I am on camera or interviewed for something that's going to be in print. I make a point of noting that my situation (low level para with excellent financial and community support) can't be compared to that of, say, a vent dependent quad that is stuck in a nursing home. It's not that hard to do. OTOH, some people use "we" and "us" quite liberally in their speech and make a great many generalizations. I wouldn't find that appropriate even if I happened to agree with the speaker.

    C.
    Hyperbole, but it was def. not an attempt to ridicule. I thought it was funny. I see so many people speak for different causes, it does happen daily on TV, and rarely is a qualifier offered up. I just assume that if somebody is campaigning for any reason, there will be dissent of some sort, and somebody feeling un-represented.

    I wasn't yet injured when CR got hurt, so didn't take anything he said at all personally. Obvs, I can't share your perspective on that front. I believe that this is how you felt. I don't claim to understand why.

    John Hockenberry speaks on behalf of increased funding for rehabs, very important. He doesn't explain, when I've seen him speaking publicly, that he doesn't speak for all of us. He does say it in private conversation, just as he explains why cure research has never been his primary goal. Most other paralysis issue speakers I've seen have spoken at cure-related events so I won't consider them.

    I'm trying to think. Mental health advocates, no-kill animal shelters, radical Democrats, Meryl Streep opposing pesticides, gay marriage advocates, none of them offer such a disclaimer, to my recollection. The radical AIDS activists knew they were to extreme to be representing the mainstream AIDS patient, I'm sure.

    CR was just on a mission. He made a lot of people mad. The way I see it, he didn't set out to represent us. He wound up in a wheelchair, so he represented himself. It so happened that his fame made those efforts very public. It may be that his "we" indicated his organization, I don't know.

    What I hate is when the uneducated or camera hounds purport to speak for me. Even (or especially) when they share my goal, I hate that.

    I'm sure we'll never agree on CR, as we see it from different positions. I'm not doubting the validity of your feelings on the matter. They were obviously valid from your stance.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    The gods roll the dice on whether any particular SCI is going to cause long lasting damage.
    C.
    Tiger Racing, Just to clarify something:
    You believe the reason that Kevin recovered was 'cause (as you say) the gods rolled the dice and vuala, Kevin recovered.....?
    wow!

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by vito
    You believe the reason that Kevin recovered was 'cause (as you say) the gods rolled the dice and vuala, Kevin recovered.....?
    I believe that pure chance was a major factor. Some people are luckier than others on their unluckiest day. Everett got the best medical care possible, but he was also lucky that his particular injury didn't cause more initial damage. He was also in spectacularly good health and possibly has better genetics than some and his body may heal better than most.

    C.

  9. #49
    Senior Member shak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    british columbia
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    I believe that pure chance was a major factor. Some people are luckier than others on their unluckiest day. Everett got the best medical care possible, but he was also lucky that his particular injury didn't cause more initial damage. He was also in spectacularly good health and possibly has better genetics than some and his body may heal better than most.

    C.
    i think we should find out more about his injury before sayin this kinda stuff. just lookin at his xray it looks like a very serious break with lots of potential damage, but it would be nice to know more to be sure one way or another.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Everett got the best medical care possible, but he was also lucky that his particular injury didn't cause more initial damage.
    C.
    That's what I was saying in my post #1 that he got the best medical care possible (cooling saline and steroids) and therefore no secondary injury which equals recovery, but not god miracle.
    Don't forget that what was applied to him is the result of long scientific research/results, which aint got nothing to do with god (that's what I meant he should at least say in his interviews or talk shows like Oprah). The truth.
    30 years ago such studies/results were not available, would he still have said "God worked a miracle for me" 30 years ago? Many peeps here havn't.
    My point is he should credit the science and the right people, not saying some nonsense! And if he doesn't know that, then he needs to wake up.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2002, 12:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •