Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "You're such a good person ..."

I like the shirt idea as well, I would definitely get one. There a couple places online that sell disability shirts, they may help with the design.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

I love the t-shirt idea.

Me, too... that's a great idea.. Mark's would have to say "diving accident"...
    AB, Husband is c5-6 inc quad, 25 years post injury.

I hear that crap a lot . . . Depending on my mood, I always answer either,

"No, actually I'm kind of a bitch." (when I'm in a really bad mood) or

"What, you don't think he's worth the trouble?" (spoken in a surprised voice, like maybe I missed something they're seeing . . . this one never fails to shame 'em into silence.)

My son Kyle was injured 9/07 is a c6 spinal injury. On the same line as you were saying I get alot of "god, your such a good mom" or " I don't know how you do it" Like theres another option. What kind of mother wouldn't put her child first and do what needed to be done. People used to wonder how I just don't sit around crying all the time. Who has time to cry!!!! I quit my job to stay home with my son and do whatever needs to be done for him. We are new in all this and are learning as we go. I also have 2 other children, very active girls with "extremely busy social lives" So I would like to know when people think I have time to fall apart!!!!!
    My son almost drowned I rejoice in the fact that he is alive and I celebrate all the little things.

Unfortunately, when I was injured in '85, it was common for children with high SCI to be institutionalized and parents had little to do with them. I was fortunate to have parents that didn't agree with that, but I can maybe see some comments coming from that type of older thinking.

I know one quad, now mid twenties injured at age eight, whose mom is on meds to "handle her son's condition," but it sounded like she had problems before his injury as well.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    Unfortunately, when I was injured in '85, it was common for children with high SCI to be institutionalized and parents had little to do with them.
    That's heartwrenching.

i'll just post this here because it follows the theme of "dumb questions asked about sci"...i picked up photos at walgreens from a rugby tournament i was just at and the guy asked me "so is everyone in wheelchairs that play?"

no some of us feel like sitting in chairs all the time while we play sports

the weirdest question as of yet is if i'm in a wheelchair because of bunyon (sp?) surgery...uhhh

both these questions were from walgreens staff, something's dumbing down their workers apparantly.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

I go to clubs a lot with a good friend of mine. Besides the many high fives and "great to see you out!" comments i get, she hears sooo many people say "that's sooo nice of you to hang out with him" - along with many similar comments. WTF? i can mildly entertain the idea of people questioning whether they could be in a relationship w/ me due to their ignorance, but friendship? Stupid Toads.
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce