Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: curious question

curious question

I'm T-5 incomplete and it will be 7yrs post this April. I can move my big toe on my left foot a few toes on my right foot. I can bend my foot back on my right foot and have feeling all on my left side. When my meds wear off there have been times that if I slouched down in my chair and let my legs hang I can lift my right leg a few times until I guess it gets tired. It also takes everything I have to do some of this. I'm also able to urinate on my own.

Even though it's going on 7 years do you think there would be any benefit in any sort of specialized therapy to increase function with the return I have.

I never really had good PT when I was in rehab because I was constantly sick. The return came back a little at a time after my PT was over also.

The medication that I take is baclofen (40mg 4x a day) and I was taking diazepam, but my insurance will no longer cover that. My nurse is suppose to get back with me to see if my doctor was going to make any changes in regards to this. I'll know more hopefully Monday.

Any input on this would be great.

Thanks
    T-5 incomplete

Hey, Girl. Exercise and therapy are never wrong, always great, IMO. Whenever I've gone through a course of PT I'm always stronger for it. Always.

I exercise at least five days out of seven, but PT amps it up, helps me better focus my exercise.

You mentioned the baclofen and valium. Baclofen keeps the crazy spasms more at bay, but also makes me literally weaker. It seems to stunt and limit what I can do, what I can move. I'm off it because of that limiting effect and the fatigue I notice.

Of course, it's a trade-off because I'm in spasm land. When I first go to bed each night I can feel my very upper back and shoulders spasm like crazy. My body has a mind of its own without the baclofen. It has a mind of its own with the drug, too, just not as much.

Go for the PT. Learn what you can and can't do with a concentrated therapy program. As you're right there at RIC, I bet they can hook you up.

Keep working your body, Candy. Good PT is so hard, but so worth it.

I think if you have the time and money to do it - you should! Go for it! I never realized that you were so incomplete! Good stuff!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Rar Rae,
    With returns like that I'd push for PT. Hopefully your doc will write a script and you can get insurance to approve it.What's it gonna hurt to try. If you get a little more function back, it's better than none. And hell, if things start looking really good, you can get Andy to rob a bank and you can go to PW. No really, I'd really invest some time in PT. good luck girl and keep us posted...

I'm wondering if my insurance will pay for the PT?

My legs are a mess with the baclofen and if I get off of it I know it will be horrible hard to transfer and so forth.

I use to do my leg stretches faithly for the first three years and now I've slacked. I still do them, but nowhere near like I use to. I've been getting on Andy's standing frame here and there also.

It would be wonderful if my insurance would pay for PT. I just have medicaid/medicare.
    T-5 incomplete

Your insurance should pay for PT when your physician's rx for it.

As for the baclofen, everything is a trade-off. You'll have to figure out what does and doesn't work for you. Yes, I have crazy wicked spasms without it, but my body is not as fatigued. I swear I feel like a slug when I take it. I still take a short course of it once in a while now when I'm sick with a UTI and my spasms go intolerable, but I'm generally bacloden free.

Good going on using the standing frame.

Go for the PT, Candy. Do everything you can to be as strong as you can.

It's great you're looking into this for yourself.

I'll call Master Chen or Diane Rowles and see if they have any input for me.
    T-5 incomplete

RaeRae,

From your description, you appear to be an ASIA C. Were you "complete" at after your injury and for how long a period of time?

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by RaeRae
    I'm T-5 incomplete and it will be 7yrs post this April. I can move my big toe on my left foot a few toes on my right foot. I can bend my foot back on my right foot and have feeling all on my left side. When my meds wear off there have been times that if I slouched down in my chair and let my legs hang I can lift my right leg a few times until I guess it gets tired. It also takes everything I have to do some of this. I'm also able to urinate on my own.

Even though it's going on 7 years do you think there would be any benefit in any sort of specialized therapy to increase function with the return I have.

I never really had good PT when I was in rehab because I was constantly sick. The return came back a little at a time after my PT was over also.

The medication that I take is baclofen (40mg 4x a day) and I was taking diazepam, but my insurance will no longer cover that. My nurse is suppose to get back with me to see if my doctor was going to make any changes in regards to this. I'll know more hopefully Monday.

Any input on this would be great.

Thanks

I had feeling when I was in rehab and they did the pin prick thing. I realized I could go to the bathroom on my own after rehab. I would say everything else came within the first year or two of my accident. I would try to move stuff all the time.
    Last edited by RaeRae; 02-03-2008 at 08:38 PM.
    T-5 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by RaeRae
    I had feeling when I was in rehab and they did the pin prick thing. I realized I could go to the bathroom on my own after rehab. I would say everything came within the first year or two of my accident. I would try to move stuff all the time.
    I see. Did you have pinprick sensation in your anal region?

In my opinion, you should have undergone ambulation training. You may be able to get to the point of walking without assistance. A number of studies suggest that people such as yourself (who are motor incomplete) can benefit from intensive weight-supported treadmill training. There are quite a lot of posts on this subject. A number of studies suggest that over 50% of people who were ASIA B initially (if you had pinprick sensation) will recover locomotion with training.

Wise.